Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
    5-wire thermostat - LOST a few wire labels. HELP!
    I am installing a programmable thermostat (upgrading from a previous programmable that wasn't to our liking.

When taking the old thermostat off, I noticed 4 of the 5 wires were labelled. That's a good thing. HOWEVER, when I took the old baseplate off, 2 of the labels fell off (not sure from which wires.

My new thermostat requires:
    RC
    RH
    G
    Y
    W

The wires from the wall are:
    G - green
    W - white
    ? - orange
    ? - black
    ? - red

So, I need to "map" RED, ORANGE, BLACK, to RC, RH, Y.

Can anyone help me? I am at a loss here. The house is about 4 years old. If I can't get an answer here (or how to TEST which wires are what), I might ask a neighbour in the same style of home (same contractor) to see their wires which are hopefully labelled.

THANKS!
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
    ONLY IF four wires were hooked up to the old thermostat. Hook the R to RH and jump the RH to the RC. Now its either the orange or the black wire. Touch each one to the red wire. Connect the one that turns the outside system ON when touched to the RED wire to the "Y" leave the other unused.
    curls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I had 5 wires in the old thermostat.

I knocked on my neighbours' door and checked her thermostat - got my colour/label mappings that way. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the help though!
    Eric

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

6 wire AC/Heater to 5 Wire thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Coleman BRCS0301BB AC and a gas based heting unit. I see 6 wires coming up to the thermosat - Red Blue White Yellow Green Brown

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search