Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peackpr957 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Light sockets keep resetting breaker
    Hi All,

I have a bathroom socket that periodically trips the breaker when a portable heater is used. One of my outside covered sockets is on the same line and occasionally tripped the breaker when we had the pool pump plugged in. Sometimes all I needed to do was press the reset button on the bathroom socket and sometimes it required resetting the breaker. My question is why could this be happening? Could it be the circuit is overloaded and if so, what can I use to test it with?

Thanks!

Robert
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 24, 2006, 09:09 AM
    The heater may be pulling too much power while other things in your home are running, such as other lights, a stove, microwave, etc. When using anything with a high wattage (especially with those things that provide a source of heat) minimize your use of resources. Just to be on the safe side, check your breaker box and make sure nothing is burnt out or needs to be replaced. You might also want to try running the heater in another room in the house, and as usual keep a clear area (at least 3ft) around it, free from any flammables, and don't run it unattended. =)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 09:11 AM
    OK sorry but words are getting in the way, does socket mean lamp socket that you screw a light bulb into, or a plug into?

Are the reset buttons on a duplex receptacle, being a GFI?

The GFI s tripping due to a ground fault, the breaker may be tripping due to an overload, or a ground fault.

If the heater trips the breaker, sounds like an overload. What is the wattage of the unit, and what else is on the circuit running at the same time as the heat?

To troubleshoot some of this you would need a current clamp on probe, or called an AmpProbe, which is a brand name.

Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2006, 10:08 AM
    I initially thought it was a fuse problem and replaced it. To replace it I had to remove the metal panel on the breaker box. At the time I didn't notice or smell anything that indicated something was burned out. Sorry, I meant the plug-in electrical outlet. It is a dual receptacle with a test and reset button that I'm guessing is GFI. The AmpProbe I can get and test with. Will it indicate if it may be a ground fault problem. If not, how do I check for that? The house is 10 yrs old if that makes any difference. This problem didn't start until this summer when we purchased one of those inflatable pools and needed to run the filter periodically. The outside electrical outlet the filter was plugged into is on the same line as the outlets in both bathrooms.

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 01:41 PM
    No, the AmpProbe will not indicate a ground fault, only measure the current flow in amperes.

So it may be an overload from the pool pump on the bathroom circuit, or the pool pump may have gotten wet and is causing a ground fault.

Really need to determine what is tripping, fuse, breaker , or GFI.

Yes, most likely the receptacle with the Test and Reset buttons is a GFI receptacle.

Oct 27, 2006, 06:45 AM
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm planning to check them all out this weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to light a furance pilot light [ 3 Answers ]

My pilot light on my furnace need to be lite and not sure how to light a pilot light, I see the knob to turn that say on, off and pilot but not sure where to hold to fire and not sure if I need to hold the knob down that say pilot at the same time please help.

80s Chev truck, brake light - tail light troubleshoot [ 1 Answers ]

Help me please. Have early 80s chev pu... Front L turn signal light comes on when brake is applied... Seen a few of these on the road... Could this be a chev problem? Or just an electrical problem? Is there an obvious answer? Thanks, David

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

Light at own home produces sound when light at neighbor's house is switched on [ 4 Answers ]

I've moved into an apartment. I noticed that whenever I switched on my fluorescence light and when my neighbor switches on his light, my fluorescence light would produce a 'rrrrr' or 'mmm' sound which sometimes can be loud and irritating. I have tried changing the light bulb and even the ballast...

Downloading- connection resetting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here. Basically I've recently been having a problem with downloads... When I start a download every things fine but if I try looking on the web as well as download it crashes out and says "connection with server reconnected".. ( and this hasent happened to me any other time up to...

View more questions Search