Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aquarian57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 06:25 PM
    People without lease living in Mom's house, not paying
    There is a family living in my Mom's house (she passed away in July) who are not paying. They had a verbal agreement with my Mom to pay rent and utilities, but are $3,600+ behind. My Mom was going to tell them to leave but died before she got the chance. The house is now part of her estate and we need to sell it, as we are now stuck paying the bills. The people agreed to be out tomorrow at noon. We had even given them a week extension at their request - just to be nice. They signed and dated a paper stating that they would be out tomorrow at noon, and that they owed us $3,600. Now they are saying that they can't be out at noon tomorrow. Can we have the police make them leave or do we have to go through the time an expense of the formal eviction process? The house is located in York County, Virginia. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 06:33 PM

Did you give them anything in writing that they had to be out by a certain date?

Every tenant has the legal right to live in rental housing unless and until the landlord follows the legal process for eviction.

If a landlord wants to evict you for not paying rent, the landlord must give you a written notice to either move or pay rent in 5 days. If you pay the rent in 5 days, you get to stay. If you do not pay, the landlord can start an eviction in General District Court ( GDC ).

Then you have to take it to court
    8.01 - 470 & 472 code of Virginia) The Writ of Possession in Unlawful Detainer (Eviction) is a court order authorizing the Sheriff to physically remove a person and his belongings from a premises and to return possession to the landlord. Usually the court will not issue the Writ of Possession until the appeal period has lapsed. The appeal period is ten (10) days.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2009, 07:08 PM

Also, only the executor of mom's estate can take action against them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 07:16 PM

Both excellent and accurate posts. Their agreement may not be worth the paper its printed on. You can evict and then take them to court to collect the debt. Even with a judgement collection may be difficult if they want it that way. Try to negotiate something they can really live with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in a house my dads owns no lease no rent and am being asked to move. [ 12 Answers ]

First off I will tell you I am in the state of Oklahoma. My wife, myself, and my daughter live in a house my father owns. It is on his property right across the driveway from his house he occupies. I have lived there since 9/2005... My wife since 01/2006. My daughter is two and a half. The...

How to I add my anme to my mom's house deed? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I add my name to my Mom's house deed? Father's name is still on it who has been dead for 11 years. House is paid off she 74 and I live with her.

Brother won't leave mom's house after mom's death [ 3 Answers ]

Hello My mother died recently. My brother is the executor of the estate. He lived with my mother prior to her death. The will clearly states that of all of mom's posssessions go into an estate, get sold and then be evenly distributed among six siblings. My brother is refusing to put the...

How to get abusive druggie brother out of elderly mom's house [ 4 Answers ]

I am 38yr. Old female and I currently am a caregiver for my 81 year old mother. I came from California to live at her house in Pa. to take care of her after my father died. Since then my younger brother who is 37 came to her and asked to come live back home. Everyone in my family has had problems...

View more questions Search