Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellicate Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Taking off a push connet valve (toilet valve)
    We need to take off our 20 yr plus push connect valve (grey plastic toilet valve) and put a new metal one in to repair the leak in our toilet connecter ( grey tubing also) Chances are the wall stem is made of grey tubing or copper. We bought a new metal push connect valve and toilet connecter. We also had to buy a pipe cutter. The salesman told us they don't make ours anymore. He said we have to take the old valve off and cut it from the wall. Yeah right.

We shut off the water main. My husband can't seem to get the old valve off. We don't know how to do it. Please anyone, how do you get it off. Which way do we turn it, or do we pull it? Or must we cut it. OMG

Please advise

Thanks, D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Can you send us a picture? Tom

Aug 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Can you send us a picture? Tom
    I will try to get a photo of it, my husband's cell phone is with him now.

Yeah, I was reading that a lot of people are having problems with 20 yr old plastic plumbing. Twisting it off counter clockwise may help. But my husband isn't home right now and gave up for now.

Aug 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    can you send us a picture? Tom

Name:  toilet valve.jpg
Views: 4239
Size:  88.0 KB

Here it is, its grey plastic... and we have to get it off the wall to put the new metal valve and toilet connecter on. Thanks, again...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Shut the water off at the house shutoff and remove the old angle stop. Now try to wiggle the compression nut off the copper stub out. If that's giving you a hard time we go to plan "B".
    Since I notice the copper pipe is a little short so let's try this. Install the new valve using the old compression nut and ferule. Before you connect back to the toilet tank close the valve and turn the water back on to check the connection. If it holds pressure you're Ok to connect to the tank. If there's a problem click on back and we'll cut the nut off. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Tom. I don't think this is an average stop. It looks more like a plastic stop with a different style of connection. I believe this style of stop actually uses a thin metal ring and a rubber ring to make the connection(rubber makes the seal, while the metal ring keeps it in place). Ive seen these quite a few times in trailer houses. KInd of hard to tell from the pic, but that's what I'm putting my money on.

dellicate,
    You see the nut at back of vavle? This nut will unthread from valve, then valve will come off by pulling staight out. Then you should be able to push the nut towards the wall and see a metal ring. This will need to be removed next(sometimes can be done just by pulling on the nut). Once you have everything removed install the new shutoff. I can't see for sure what type of piping you have, as I believe the actuall nut goes all the way to the escustion at the wall. Please let us know what type of piping it is for sure. If it is the grey pipe, you will want to make sure to use a instert before using the new metal valve.
    Now, if you can find the same plastic style valve, you can do as Tom suggest and just unscrew the nut, pull of the old vavle, and reuse the old nut to connect the new valve. If piping is plastic, I would suggest taking the old valve to a plumbing supply store and try to find the same type valve that you took off. They do still make this style of valve, but it may take some looking to find it. Good luck and please let us know what you find. Lee
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 10, 2009, 03:58 PM

Its hard to tell from the picture but that looks to me like a threaded polybutylene compression valve . Look at the pipe where it goes into the valve don't see a small metal band do you ? If not Look carefully at the valve just in front of the large nut do you see any threads there may be only one or two showing ? If so then follow the steps below. If you don't see any threads try to post a clearer picture if you can and we will see what we can see. The other guys will be on later and we will see what they think as well. GOOD LUCK, AC

1st :shut off main water supply(very important).

2nd: Disconnect the toilet supply line at the valve.

3rd :Get two wrenches one to hold the valve still and one to turn the larger nut try to remove the valve by turning the large nut towards the toilet. This should not take brute force but it may be fairly snug.

Aug 10, 2009, 04:08 PM
    I think you are right. I live in Md and most people live in trailer homes... and whoever installed this must have taken the easy way out. I will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

D

Aug 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101 View Post
    Its hard to tell from the picture but that looks to me like a threaded polybutylene compression valve . Look at the pipe where it goes into the valve dont see a small metal band do you ? If not Look carefully at the valve just in front of the large nut do you see any threads there may be only one or two showing ? If so then follow the steps below. ? If you dont see any threads try to post a clearer picture if you can and we will see what we can see. The other guys will be on later and we will see what they think as well. GOOD LUCK, AC

1st :shut off main water supply(very important).

2nd: Disconnect the toilet supply line at the valve.

3rd :Get two wrenches one to hold the valve still and one to turn the larger nut try to remove the valve by turning the large nut towards the toilet. This should not take brute force but it may be fairly snug.
    Here is a smaller photo
    Attached Images

ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 10, 2009, 04:46 PM

Have a go at unscrewing it I still believe that we are on the right track. GOOD LUCK,AC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace push-pull shower valve ? [ 6 Answers ]

Took all covers ,etc. off.. but valve is still in place. Removed locking U-pin... but valve has brass collar and valve will not pull out, All water off from main. How can I remove?? What should I do. Old unit.. cam with 20year old house. May have lime deposit build up.. hard to push or pull!...

Shower push-pull valve [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Mike How do I replace the push-pull valve on shower. It looks like it has a rubber or plastic gromet holding the valve in place and I can't figure out how to remove the gromet. Thanks

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Stuck middle valve - 3 handle shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Help and suggestions!! The middle handle, used to divert water from the tub spout to shower head is stuck in the 'tub' position. I have removed the handle and trim bezel and tried to turn the shaft with pliers - no luck & quit before marring the splines on the brass shaft. What now??

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

View more questions Search