Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swtswede Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 09:34 PM
    AC fan stopped working, no humming, click.nothing
    I notice the temp in the house started going up despite being set low. Live in Texas and this year we are breaking all the heat records, so it doesn't take long to get hot inside. Inside unit appears to be fine, but the fan outside isn't coming on. I had my son turn it on while I was right up next to it and there is nothing... no noise, no click... nothing. The fuses are all in on position, and I did flip them all just to be sure, still nothing. I know zip about this kind of stuff... but we have had issues in the house with other breakers. Could this be a bad breaker or should I just call someone.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Could be bad breaker but could be a bad capicitor,in outside unit
    Could be a broken low voltage wire that goes out to te ac
    Could be a bad contactor in ac
    If you are able to check out these items,(very carefully) beware electricity can kill
    You could save some bucks
    swtswede Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    could be bad breaker but could be a bad capicitor,in outside unit
    could be a broken low voltage wire that goes out to te ac
    could be a bad contactor in ac
    if you are able to check out these items,(very carefully) beware electricity can kill
    you could save some bucks
    I was able to find the little middle button on the contactor and push it on with a screw driver. Everything seems to turn on (as long as I hold it down), and the fan seems to be trying to turn... but doesn't get going. The button on the contact does not stay pushed in at all, as soon as I release pressure... everything turns off.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 04:15 AM
    When the thermostat is calling for cooling the outside units contactor should pull in. If not you have a low voltage problem. To compound the issue when the contactor is pushed/pulled in the outside fan motor should run. Looks like you may have two problems.

The capacitor for the motor could be defective but the low voltage problem you will need to trace back to see where the fault is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Can somebody click this link, webpage not working? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm in the process of making a website for my mums show dogs, but I've uploaded the page to a free-hosting site and gave her the address and she says she can't see it. It's working on my computer :confused: Can someone click on the link below and let me know if you can see the page... ...

Outside blower fan stopped;humming from unit [ 1 Answers ]

I also have a similar problem. I have an Outdoor Heat Pump Unit/AC (Brand Unknow for now). When I turned the unit on earlier this day (4-26), I had no problems. Approximately 2 hours later, I noticed the outdoor motor fan Had stopped, and a humming noise from within the unit. Any thoughts?...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

A/C fan outside not working / Humming [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a goodman manufacturing air conditioner. The outside unit fan will not come on. I heard a click (assume an attempt to start) then no movement. There is a hum coming from the unit. The fan blade is free turning. There is a large amount of heat on the top of the unit (above what I assume is...

View more questions Search