Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbybig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Two Tenants on one Townhouse: Separate Leases
    I am a new landlord and looking for renting my townhouse to 2 tenants. One tenant will take upper floor with 1 bedroom/1bath and second tenant will be taking middle floor with 2 bd/1bath with common areas on ground floor as living area, kitchen etc. I already got first tenant who we know personally (little bit) and still looking for second tenant. I am looking two option of lease :

Option a: Jointly and Severely liable on single lease but the first tenant who I know is hesitant in doing so because we know she can not pay whole rent if such situation arises.

Option b: Separate lease for first tenant and then another lease for second tenant.

My question is for option b, how and what kind of wording I need to be including on their separate leases for common area, security deposit situations if one tenant leaves early or break the lease. How would I return the security deposit in such case if damages? Is it OK to do option B. Any suggestion would be certainly great help.
    (Property in question is in Montgomery County, Maryland)
    Regards.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 07:03 PM

Also check your zoning to be sure you are multi family or romming house zoned. * the actually requirement will change by name as locations have their own wording***

Since if you are not allowed to rent to multi family by zoning, you could find yourself unable to enforce any rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disclosing private information about tenants to other tenants [ 5 Answers ]

What if the landlord has disclosed private personal information to the other tenants about me after I moved out, is this slander?

Single meter on townhouse for two units. Shut off notice because of other tenants. [ 1 Answers ]

We have lived in our unit for over two years. Every 2 months our landlord will call and tell us the total amount due on our water bill because it is in his name. Unit A is suppose to pay half and Unit B pays half. We are unit B. Two previous times we have gotten shut off notices because of unit...

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Can bank evict well paying tenants if tenants want to stay [ 3 Answers ]

My good friend from England and his family are leasing a home in Houston TX. He is a well paid man working for a oil company and (with British passports). Landlord fell sick and is about to foreclose the house and go bankrupt. My friend Martin loves to stay there to continue his tenancy (a...

Clogged Townhouse Sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My bathroom sink is clogged on the third floor of my townhouse. It takes a very short time to back up (washing my hands for instance), and it takes hours for the water to drain. I took the trap off and it was clear. I also went 25 feet in with the auger and there were no clogs in the...

View more questions Search