Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 02:41 PM
    Judas, part 2
    In 1 Corinthians 15:4-5 (KJV), St. Paul writes, "And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: and that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve."

Did "the twelve" include Judas, or is St. Paul mistaken? (Judas's replacement was not chosen until later.)
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
    The twelve refers to the group of disciples collectively even though by that time Judas was dead and the focus is upon Jesus not the apostles. So Paul is speaking to the historical event of the choosing of the twelve, which was symbolic of the twelve tribes of Israel, something which may have been significant to a Jew but is of passing interest to us gentiles, and he is identifying Peter specifically as one of the apostles and not some other person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    The twelve refers to the group of disciples collectively even though by that time Judas was dead and the focus is upon Jesus not the apostles. So Paul is speaking to the historical event of the choosing of the twelve, which was symbolic of the twelve tribes of Israel, something which may have been significant to a Jew but is of passing interest to us gentiles, and he is identifying Peter specifically as one of the apostles and not some other person.
    Paul's comment "he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve" has nothing to do with the choosing of the twelve. Paul never even named Judas in any of his epistles, just wrote that Jesus "was handed over" to... Did Paul even believe/know/think a disciple had betrayed Jesus?
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 03:46 PM
    I have no doubt Paul was well aware of act of Judas after all he knew both Peter and Mark personally but again the betrayal is not the central theme of the Gospel and Paul was interested in telling us about the spiritual significance of the death and resurrection of Jesus and not expounding on the act of a person who would have been despised.

Tell me; do you think Paul was unaware of the Gospel detail even though it had not been written down? The early Christians were not responding to the Jewish Old Testament but to the preaching of the story of the events of Jesus life which were undoubtedly told over and over and were well known even though it took Paul some time to become a believer
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    In 1 Corinthians 15:4-5 (KJV), St. Paul writes, "And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: and that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve."

Did "the twelve" include Judas, or is St. Paul mistaken? (Judas's replacement was not chosen until later.)
    Cephas is another name for the apostle Peter.. So it is saying Cephas then of the twelve which is confirming a fact
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Tell me; do you think Paul was unaware of the Gospel detail even though it had not been written down?
    I don't think the betrayal was anywhere on Paul's list of things to think about.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Cephas is another name for the apostle Peter.. So it is saying Cephas then of the twelve which is confirming a fact
    So your understanding is that it was "Cephas, then [one of] the twelve."
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So your understanding is that it was "Cephas, then [one of] the twelve."
    Yes Paul is confirming the facts as they were..

1 Corinthians 15:4-5 (KJV), St. Paul writes, "And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: and that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve."

Likeness to seen by Cephas who was then one of the twelve
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
    As I said the reference to the twelve was just positively identifying who he was speaking about, Peter otherwise known as Cephas or Simeon
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Aug 10, 2009, 11:46 PM

I think that Judas did also see Christ risen.
    Jesus in Revelation says that He was dead but He lives.Judas was also dead and I think that Jesus was not only shown to the living but to the dead also.The Lord's resurrection was not only shown to the living but to the dead also.
    Not only the righteous will see the risen Lord because it is written that every knee will bow and every tongue will confess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judas, part 1 [ 17 Answers ]

In Matthew 19:28 (KJV), "And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." Judas was one of the twelve at the...

Gospel of Judas [ 11 Answers ]

I am wondering is the gospel of Judas acknowledged by the church? If not why not? Thank you in advance.

Did Jesus ask Judas to turn him in? [ 12 Answers ]

I am a firm believer in God. I believe Jesus was someone very special. I am not 100 percent sure he is the Messiah. I have allways thought that Judas turning Jesus in sounds to stupid to believe. Judas walked with Christ from the beginning. He ate,drank,walked and followed Jesus till almost the...

70's movie part live action / part cartoon [ 3 Answers ]

It was about a boy who found a dragon (the dragon was the cartoon part) and a family tried to take it away from him. They were trying to make a profit off him or something. Its characters look run-down kind of like chimney sweepers back in the day.

Spouse outside US for part and in US for part of the year - file single or joint ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US (RI) since Aug 2006. My wife has been living and working in India all this time. However, in Aug 2007, she came to the US (CA) on an independent work visa. For financial year 2007, would it be beneficial / correct for us to file taxes individually or jointly...

View more questions Search