Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmcarr21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Hunter fan and light switch model 27182
    Hello, here is my problem... I'm replacing an old single light/fan switch from with a new Hunter model 27182 combo switch. Here is what I have... from the ceiling my wiring is as follows and how it is connected to my new fan. White/white, black/black, red/blue, and two green and 1 bare wire wired together. From the wall, I have two black, two white, one bare and one red. From the new switch, I have blue, black and red.

Could someone please help me with the wiring connections, as I have tried everything I can think of. I can get the light to work when I connect the blue and red from the controller
    To the red from the wall, but when I connect the two black from the wall to the black form the controller, my fan stays on high and my slider on the controller does nothing.

Thank you very much!!
    jjustinia Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 04:02 PM

You have two cable coming into the box. One has a black and a white, this is the power coming from the panel. The other one has black, red and white and goes to the fan box. First identify these and group them together, so you can wire it properly. First all whites get spliced together and all grounds get spliced together. Then the black from the panel goes with the black on the switch. The remaining red and black control the lights and fan separately. I don't know which you wired to which at the fan. So try the connecting the reaming black to the blue from the switch and then the red to the red. It will either be right or it will be backwards, the light switch will control the fan and vice versa. If this is the case switch the blue and the red wires and you will be good to go.

There are a lot of wire to keep track of, if something is not clear let me know and I will try and clarify. Let me know if this helps!
    jjustinia Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
    You could also test each of the black wires to see which is the hot wire from the panel. Test each black separately with a tester to the ground, the black that lights up the tester is your hot from the panel. Be sure you know how to work with these wires if the power is on. If you are not comfortable, don't.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:41 PM

What wires did the old switch have and how was it connected?
    cttexas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 08:37 AM
    I want to install a hunter celing dimmer model 27182 to my wall switch *** help, I lost the instruction
    cttexas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
    I have black on black and white on white and the ground with ground coming from the wall and my dimmer has a black , red and blue wire . So do I connect to my wall wires ?
    drusher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Do not buy this dimmer. It is junk. I have two of them that didn't even last two years.

The slider arms are underbuilt, and the plastic button ends are hard plastic. Either the slider arm breaks off or the knob end splits into little pieces.

The detent for the off position on the lamp is too stiff, which makes the arms/knobs break faster. The detent gets harder as time goes on. One of mine cannot even be turned off, even after spraying electronic lubricant in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement Hunter Fan/Light wall switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hunter 1912 Mission Bronze 54" fan with 2 lights, one above and one below the blades. The wall switch control has separate dimmer buttons for each light and hi, med, low, and off for the fan. Since a lightning strike the fan only works on hi or off but not on med or low. The light...

Hunter fan w/ light & reversing switch on remote, remote not working properly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hunter fan with light and remote control, with reversible switch on the remote. RC was working fine until recently, and now, the fan will not turn off with it. I do not have a wall switch. The light works fine with RC, and the reversing also works, so does the fan speed. So, what...

Battery replacement for hunter light switch. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a new home. After a few months the light on the deck has stopped working. The light and fan still work but not with the wall switch. At first I thought I may have to replace it due to moisture. After reading about the Hunter light switch, seems there may be a battery...

Hunter wall mount fan & light control (model 27186) [ 2 Answers ]

The Hunter wall mount control has two black wires and one green wire. How do I know which black wire goes to the black wire from the wall and which goes to the white wire from the wall? Or doesn't it matter which wire is connected to which

View more questions Search