Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrskro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Employee tax deductions
    What taxes do I have to deduct from my employees' check weekly?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 06:42 PM

If you want to be following all the tax rules correctly, you need to get some other resources besides just asking on here what needs to be deducted. That isn't just some simple question someone can easily answer in a post.

For one thing, where are you? I don't even know what country you're in, and wouldn't have any idea how taxes are deducted in another country. Plus there's likely local taxes no matter where you are. So that right there makes it difficult to answer.

I could only answer this from the point of view of the U.S. You would need first of all to make sure you have a tax ID number if you don't already have one. (If the only one you have is your S.S. then that won't work when you have employees.) You would need to get the Circular E from the IRS. That has all the information in it. You can call the numbers in the back if you don't understand how something works. The other tax is unemployment but all the info is in the same place.

Then there would be state -- most states have income tax, but some do not. You would need to call the state treasury office and find out, and then get the information from them about what needs to be done. There also might be a state unemployment tax, and some type of insurance (workers comp).

And there could be city. Even in my immediate vicinity, there's tons of different municipalities that all do their taxes differently, so even I have to call these places sometimes to find out their rates and get the paperwork that I need.

There's more complication to it than we can answer simply here. A better idea is to call the taxing authority in question and ask them, get whatever paperwork is necessary, find out what you need to be doing, etc. Then you can come on here and ask questions about specific things that you don't understand how to do.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2009, 05:06 PM

You forgot the most important ones:
    Federal Income Tax
    Social Security
    Medicare
    The rest you have covered correctly.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 07:32 PM

Federal income tax, social security & medicare are all in the Circular E, which I did state would have the needed information in it. So yes I did cover it.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 14, 2009, 08:54 PM

Sorry, I did not catch that.

You had it covered then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hourly employee deductions withheld, no pay stubs, 1099? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed at a small shop in New Jersey for the last 4 years. My co-workers and I were all hourly employees being paid by check through a payroll company (ADP). Tax, SSI, UED, Med, IRA, dedections were all recorded on our pay stubs. In March 2008, our employer stopped using the...

Itemized deductions Vs. Std. Deductions [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, Can some one please explain the difference between itemized deductions Vs. Std. deductions and how this will affect the returns when you are in OPT Please Advice.

Multiple pay rate for one employee? Or employee and contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employee perform accounting clerk duties at one rate of pay for 15 hours per week and then perform payroll duties 1-2 days a month at a different rate? Alternatively, can this employee (who has a bona fide accounting business on the side) be an employee for the payroll clerk function and...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

View more questions Search