Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gary purdy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 06:11 PM
    I was recently terminated from my job of 11 years. While I never had a 401k with the company I worked for that I made contributions to, the company made contributions on their own for the employee for many years, even though I never started or made payments into a 401k. I cashed out the 401k last week and had the federal tax of 20% withheld. Was told no 10% penalty cause this was done in the year I turned 55. Now, come tax time in 2007, how will I handle this on my taxes? Remember, this is money that I NEVER contributed to.
    It was only $4933.00 minus the 20% tax but what do I do come taxtime?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 09:10 PM
    The redemption is similar to a distribution from a pension plan; it is taxable income. You will get a Form 1099-R to show that distribution and the withheld taxes. It is posted on Line 16a and 16b on Form 1040 or Line 12a and 12b of Form 1040A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was let go by a company 3years ago I have a 401k plan there. I am wondering if I can withdraw these funds at this time.

401k [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a 401K plan with a company that is doing very well in the stock market. The company is selling this particular property in Western NY. The new owner does not offer a 401K plan. What are our options with the money in the 401K? I know we can roll it into a Roth IRA but I was wondering...

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

View more questions Search