Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonko Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Cooling fan keeps switching on
    I have a 2002 Ford Mondeo (I live in the UK). I have noticed recently that the cooling fan keeps switching on far more frequently than it used to. In fact, until now, I had never noticed the fan coming on at all. The temperature gauge shows normal and the car runs fine. I suppose I may have a faulty thermostat but could it be anything else?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 06:33 AM

. Flush the cooling system and refill with a 50/50 mixture of manufacturer-recommended antifreeze and distilled water. Change coolant every 50,000 km or 3 years, whichever comes first. A well-maintained cooling system should be super clean inside, without any signs of phosphate scale.

. Read this link for insight:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973

It's possible that the cooling fan coming on more frequently indicates changes are taking place in the cooling system. Ensure it's the cooling fan (radiator), not the condenser fan (A/C), that's coming on. Review your maintenance program. Allowing an aluminum head engine to overheat can warp the head, damage the valves, and blow the head gasket. If the problem persists, consider replacing the radiator--the heart of the heat-transfer process.
    tonko Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks for that but I don't think the engine is overheating as the fan comes on even when I have only travelled, say, half a mile from cold. Also, the gauge shows normal.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 12:49 PM

Check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Switch, not the ECT Sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 way switching [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Ive reciently converted my attick into a bedroom and at the moment there is a 1gang 2 way switch in there. I need to get a switch at the bottom of the stairs. What do I do? The switch in the attick has the feed to it. I've put a 3 core twin and earch cable in but don't no how to connect it...

Switching from cooling to heating for the winter. [ 1 Answers ]

Folks, I have successfully replaced my White-Rogers 1E56W-309 non-programmable thermostat with Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 programmable thermostat today and boy the machine is a very fantastic dude. During the winter, I will have to heating. Previously, with the non-programmable thermostat, I...

Switching from one to another [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a new computer about 7 months ago and it has the new Windows Vista Home Basic. It's okay but I'd rather have my Windows XP back. Is there a simple way to remove the Vista and program XP on my computer?

2w switching to 4x4 [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive high whilst driving or do you have to stop, put the truck in neutral and then put into 4high?? The truck in question is a 2004 F150 fx4 off road Thanks in advance to those of you who answer Clanmac

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

View more questions Search