Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynxs1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Keys and visitors
    I received a letter from my landlords lawyer warning me of eviction if I do not remedy a breach in the lease. The tenant downstairs claims my girlfriend is permanently occuping the apt. w/ me. The lease states 1 occupant, my girlfriend has a set of keys and spends a significant amount of time here, she does not live her, there is no clause in the lease pertaining to the number of keys allowed per unit/occupant(the keys are not stamped "do not copy"), and there is no clause limiting the number of days a visitor can stay at the property. Before I pose an argument I need to find out if my actions breached my lease despite the fact that the accusations are not specifically mentioned. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Since there is no specific number of days listed, then it is vague, and what is considered living there to the landlord and what is living there to you will have to be decided in court at the eviction hearing.

With your own admission she spends a significant amount of time, so it appears she does live there a lot, so that sounds like she is living there to me.

In most of mine while spelled out, out of town visitors max of 2 weeks, and intown max of two nights in 30 day period

I would say that of course it will be hard for him to prove you have her there all the time, but then courts more often side with the landlord in eviction cases.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2006, 05:24 PM
    A judge is likely to rule that if she spends more than half the month there she is living there. If she gets mail there, that will be a clincher.

Frankly, I can't see why a landlord would evict on just those grounds, so I suspect there is something else involved and that is just the excuse.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 03:50 AM
    Let them take you to court. Have your girlfriend bring the lease where she lives and a letter from the landlord showing she is paid up. In addition, have her bring her utility bills, etc. that show them billed to her address.

In my state you would win.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2006, 06:12 AM
    You both need to be staying at her apt and let the situation at your apt cool down. Something has triggered the downstairs neighbor to complain to the landlord - noise, trash, banging doors in the middle of the night... DocMartins on the stairs... whatever... the burden would be on you to prove she is not living at your apt, not the other way around since the downstairs neighbor is obviously going to report your GF's comings and goings.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Hello Lynxs:

When most people receive a letter from a lawyer, they lay down.

Me? When I get one, I look for the tone of the accusation and the verbiage he used, and then I write one back just one step harsher and more threatening than he was.

By the way, I believe you are absolutely in the right here, both legally and... (what else is there?).

So, instead of hiding, or laying low, or making excuses, or timing your gf's visits. Write him back, and tell him she doesn't LIVE there, and evict your brains out. He'll have to prove his accusations in court. But if he's wrong, he'll pay through the nose. Tell him, you'll see him in court.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keys are stuck [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason a few the keys are not working on the keyboard. They are completely frozen. I hit the keys and nothing happens. Please help. Thank u!

Peugeot car keys... [ 1 Answers ]

Just a quickie... my Peugeot 106 key (which is central locking) has stopped working. Does this type of key take a battery? If so, what kind? Thanks!! :D

Weighted keys? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what are weighted keys and non weighted keys on a keyboard. Thanks.

Unexpected visitors [ 12 Answers ]

How should I handle family members who show up at my door unexpectedly. I have asked them repeatedly to call first to see if their visit is convenient for me, but for some reason they refuse to respect my wishes. Please advise. joycesewandsew

View more questions Search