Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chillidog Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Aug 3, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Ralph golden retriever 3 years old
    My beautiful happy 3 year old Golden was spooked by local fireworks on 07/04. Now, at bedtime, we bring them upstairs and close our door, and Ralph paces. Paces,paces. My husband thinks its because it night-time. Could he be that smart to know nighttime bring fireworks... its been a month
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 06:03 PM

How did you react when he got upset?

Did you ooh and ahh, cuddle and comfort? That's our first instinct and exactly the wrong one to use on a dog.

If you did coddle and comfort then you've inadvertently taught him to be afraid.

It could be that the darkness outside is feeding his fear.

The best thing to do is ignore the behavior. Don't make it worse by hugging and kissing him, telling him it's be okay, it will just reinforce his fear.

He should get over it eventually.

We made the mistake of taking our puppy to the fireworks. I didn't think he'd freak out as badly as he did, our other dogs never did.

Once I saw him panic I just got up and left, ran to the car with him and got him out of the line of fire (so to speak).

He's fine.

Your dog should be fine too. :)

Aug 3, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Hello and thanks:

That is what we have been doing--ignoring him,and not reinforcing this behavior. But when he goes to the bedroom door, I do take him outside to pee.

Another unusual behavior is that we taught our doggies not to swim unless we throw in a ball and tell them go,, this past month when we are out during the day, Ralphie has been going swimming alone--I shouldn't say alone--he sits on the pool step and when we get home.. I do not know how to respond... yealling at him--my husband says--he doesn't know what you are yelling about... so, can we talk again... thanks, chilidog.

Hello and thanks:

That is what we have been doing--ignoring him,and not reinforcing this behavior. But when he goes to the bedroom door, I do take him outside to pee.

Another unusual behavior is that we taught our doggies not to swim unless we throw in a ball and tell them go,, this past month when we are out during the day, Ralphie has been going swimming alone--I shouldn't say alone--he sits on the pool step and when we get home.. I do not know how to respond... yealling at him--my husband says--he doesn't know what you are yelling about... so, can we talk again... thanks, chilidog.

Hello and thanks:

Hello and thanks:

Aug 4, 2009, 02:55 PM
    I didn't appreciate DAHLIA answer as we did not take Ralphie anywhere.. they were neighborhood fireworks, which we couldn't control/

Any other suggestions, would be greatlty appreciate. Last night he tried to wrap his 80 pound body around the air purifier...
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chillidog View Post
    I didn't appreciate DAHLIA answer as we did not take Ralphie anywhere..they were neighborhood fireworks, which we couldn't control/

any other suggestions, would be greatlty appreciate. last night he tried to wrap his 80 pound body around the air purifier...
    Dahlia said nothing wrong.

When you post on a public forum you cannot decide who says what, you take the good with the bad. Having said that, I think you misunderstood what she said, it wasn't bad, and it wasn't directed at you.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
    Chilidog
    I wasn't saying anything against you, I was just thanking Alty for her suggestion a while ago. I'm sorry you misunderstood.

My husband wanted to take our dogs to the fireworks display and I had already read Altys post about it scaring her pups, so I said no.

I am sorry that your pup is scared and I really didn't mean any disrespect. I didn't post for you, because I didn't know how to help you.:(

Aug 4, 2009, 03:08 PM

Oh, I didn't know that. I apologize... I am very concerned about Ralphie nighttime behavior, and would to rectify it before we leave on vacation--its scaring me because that is not his personality--he is very calm and loving... chillidog
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
    oh, I didn't know that. I apologize...I am very concerned about Ralphie nighttime behavior, and would to rectify it before we leave on vacation--its scaring me because that is not his personality--he is very calm and loving....chillidog
    What things have you tried?

Have you considered a trip to the vet, maybe some anti anxiety meds.

Once a dog has a phobia it can be very difficult to get rid of it.

Sadly, there's only one other method I know and I don't recommend you do it alone, you'd need a professionals help.

The method is to actually expose him to the thing he fears.

Cesar Millan has done it many times, but it works better if someone else does it, your attachment to the dog could make it worse.

I'll look up the video I found of Cesar helping a dog that had a fear of floors. Maybe it will help.

I wish I had more suggestions.

My computer is being slow. Just Google "Cesar Millan helps dog with floor phobia" you should be able to find it.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Do you have any other noises around you house at this point?
    Our smoke alarm was beeping (because the battery was low, and would beep every min) my dog was freaking out.:eek: trying to dig his way through the bed and everything else. We were so concerned for him that we didn't realize that the thing was beeping and messing with him.

My husband was so distraught that he ripped it out of the ceiling. It took Winston a week to get over it, and I had to replace shredded sheets.

Aug 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
    I just talked to my husband, and he said that there are no noises, beeping smoke alarms, etc. What is confusing to me... If Ralphie thinks nighttime is fireworks time(can he be that smart) why does he pace when the lights are on, and eventually sleeps when everything is dark
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
    I just talked to my husband, and he said that there are no noises, beeping smoke alarms, etc. What is confusing to me....If Ralphie thinks nighttime is fireworks time(can he be that smart) why does he pace when the lights are on, and eventually sleeps when everything is dark
    Have there been any other changes in the house?

This could have nothing to do with the fireworks.

It is odd that he's pacing and nervous when there aren't any actual noises that could set off the fear.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
    The vet is a great suggestion, maybe he has a ear infection and the fireworks didn't help. The ear can cause many different symptoms.

Aug 4, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Yes, thank you all for your opinions. There are no changes or/and no noises.. I guess a trip to the vet in look into his ears, would be the next step... we will see how he does tonight. He does take Benadryl for allergies around 4pm with dinner; but we don't go to sleep until 10pm--he is pacing between 8-10pm:p
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 04:11 PM

Yes, take him to the vet, make sure to tell the vet what's going on.

Let us know how it goes. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 04:20 PM
    And in case Alty didn't mention it yet, we would like a picture:D
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Yes, thankyou all for your opinions. there are no changes or/and no noises..I guess a trip to the vet in look into his ears, would be the next step...we will see how he does tonight. He does take Benadryl for allergies around 4pm with dinner; but we don't go to sleep until 10pm--he is pacing between 8-10pm:p
    He may simply be getting used to the Benadryl dosage and pacing because of an antihistamine hangover. Definitely vet time.

Aug 4, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Thanks Catsmine: I never would have thought about the Benadryl.. just now as I was feeding them, that I wrote this post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick golden retriever [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 3 year old female golden retriever she seems to be ill and I am not sure what is wrong. She is an outdoor dog. She has been acting strange for about a day or two. She does not want to eat, is thirsty but vomits soon afterward. She looks sad and doesn't want to be alone. Mostly...

Diagnose my golden retriever? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is 11 years old and today she was laying there and had a bowel movement while laying there and when she got up her hind legs were not working very well, I let her outside and she went on the grass and laid down,now she is sitting there looking depressed and not moving and still breathing...

Graying Golden retriever [ 3 Answers ]

Abby just turned 3 years today. 4 months ago she started graying on her muzzle and around her eyes. This is my 6th Golden and none grayed or whitened until 10 or 11yrs. Is this a symptom of anything other than just gray hair?

Golden Retriever looks sick [ 3 Answers ]

About a month ago My wife and I found a Gold Retriever on the side of the road playing. This was a few miles from anything. We think he's a few months old. He has been really a good dog, not counting the usual puppy accidents. That was until this morning, we went out to feed him and he lost at...

View more questions Search