Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Painting wall with fireplace
    My question is this. Someone suggested to me that the wall in my recroom should be painted a different colour than the rest of the room. Any suggestions on the colour. Should it be brighter, darker, lighter than the rest of the green on the recroom walls?

Thanks

Me
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 21, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Normally in this kind of setting the accent wall is painted in a slightly dark shade to the rest of the room.
    This has the illusion of making the room seem bigger.
    So in this case a darker green would be the order of the day.

** See I have learnt something from all those interior designs shows ;)
    Chic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Hmmm.. I was hoping a bright deep colour would be good. For example: Rum Raisin or Autumn Spice. Rum Raisin being a brownish red tinge and the Autumn Spice having more of a brownish red colour. This is not a good idea?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 21, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Hmmm, I was always taught to avoid putting red and green together, but you certainly have some ideas.
    Best bet would be to get some testers and see what you feel works for you.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 21, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Color is a tricky one. For an inexperienced decorator, I recommend this:

Get some paint chips and hold them up in front of you as you scan the rest of the room. Try to imagine LARGE areas of it painted these colors.

Then pick two or three contenders, especially if they are very different from each other and buy a pint of each color.

Paint a section of the wall with each as separated as possible and have a good look from lots of angles. Just be sure you can paint over them with something close to the original color of the wall, you don't want bleed through from the different sections.

Seems like lots effort but you can learn a lot and it saves repainting a whole wall. Its rather like the measure twice, cut once rule.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 21, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I agree with curlyben, the wall should be a shade or two darker than the rest of the walls.

Going w/ a brownish color on the wall may make that wall appear to "close in" on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

Painting on a cement wall [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an artist with a job to do a painting on an exterior cement wall and I want to make sure I use the right paint. It was previously painted and is in decent shape. I could use cement paint, but it doesn't come in all the colors I need. Can I use cement paint for the first coat, and then...

Gas Fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a ventless propane gas log set. I, however, only have natural gas in my household. Is there a way I can convert the propane set to natural gas? Thank you

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search