Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Replacing a fan limit control switch
    I have a York gas furnace that is about 18 years old. The fan is blowing continuously. Tried to replace the thermostat and it didn't correct the problems. I am assuming the fan limit control switch is bad. Can I replace it myself? It is a Honeywell switch. Should I remove it and take it with me to a supply house?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Does the limit switch control the fan directly, or just the coil of a relay? Any relay could be stuck to. The older furnaces are much easier for a DIY to trouble shoot. If it is a limit switch or relay, likely you can easily take it to a HVAC supply and match it up, or at least go home with a work alike relay.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Need help replacing a 5-8 wire ceiling fan switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a 3 speed, 5-8 wire fan switch with a Harbor Breeze switch. The old switch has numbers 1-Blue wire, 2-Red wire, 3-Orange wire, 4-? and C-Black wire. I don't know which wire was in 4 as it fell out. The old switch is single layered with connection holes and the black wire...

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search