Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeanMay1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Underweigh pitbull puppy
    I have just recently gotten a new puppy, she is about 10 weeks old, I feed her everday when I feed my other 2 pitbulls, they look fine, but she looks real skinny, I just found out that she is dumping her water over not long after it gets out there, I was wondering if her not getting enough water would cause that, or if there was another reason, I would appreciate any help I can get with this
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Is she getting all her food? Also, what is her deworming skd? What food are you feeding? Thanks, D

Oct 21, 2006, 01:01 PM
    She is eating most of her food, what is a skd, and I feed her purina puppy chow

Oct 21, 2006, 01:14 PM
    She hasn't been wormed yet I haven't had her long and haven't had the time off work, but I was thinking about changing to the sunshine puppy food I seen at work, the main ingredient is meat, would that be better
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
    The first step is to check her stools for sign of worms, best done by the vet when you have her in for the shots she should be getting. At 10 weeks, she should be fed 3 times a day. In some cases, switching to a meat based diet does help a chronic light eater. I am not familiar with the Sunshine brand, but as Long as it is AAFCO tested, she should do fine on it.

Oct 21, 2006, 01:47 PM
    She has no worms in her stool I checked for that, but I have only been feeding her once a day, so I will start feeding her 3 times a day maybe that will help

Oct 21, 2006, 02:06 PM
    I agree with labman that feeding a puppy several times a day is best. However, I totally disagree with him on the food is fine if it is AAFCO. They are a self regulated organization, and Buyer beware.. . You may be buying a pet food advertised as being a nutritionally adequate diet for all dogs because it passed "stringent" AAFCO testing... when only six to eight dogs ate that food for 6 months and survived with no more than an "acceptable" 15% loss of body weight. See this website http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/04.html. Thanks,D

Oct 21, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Yea, I will start feeding her three times a day, and check out that website you sent the link to and see if that solves the problem

Oct 21, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Just one more website http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1 and two of the four parasites are not normally seen with the naked eye. So just because you don't see any doesn't mean she doesn't have any worms. I promise she does. 90% of all puppies are born with roundworms and hookworms.
    Good Luck! D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My pitbull stopped eating 2 DAYS AGO, WHAT DO I DO? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old female pitbull. I just noticed that yesterday morning, when I put the dog outside on her lead, that her food, from the previous day is still there. She is drinking a lot of water. She will not even eat people food! What do I do. We are taking her to the vet, but what can I...

My pitbull won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed my 9 month pitbull has been really picky to the point where he won't eat for a day or so just nibble at his food for a little bit when he used to eat close to 2 bowls a day the only thing I have noticed is that is eyelids are Pinker and has more moisturer than normal? He is still...

Getting a new puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site, and I have a question that I am needing some advice with. I have a miniatue dachshund who will be thee in Decembe. She is ovely SPOILED! We ae eady to get another mini, my question is, should I get a female o male? Someone told me that putting a new female with a female...

Pitbull pooping problem [ 17 Answers ]

I have had my puppy for about 4months, when we got him he was 4 months. Every since we got him we have been trying to train him and it has been nothing but a problem. When we think he's got it we will come up and find poop in his cage. Is it to late to try and train him or is there something we can...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search