Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smeredith Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Interest rates
    How do I calculate interest using the average daily balance method?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 08:48 PM

I assume you're referring to a credit card or other revolving credit. That's difficult to explain. I can show you a short example.

Billing Date 1/16 Balance $200
    1/17 charge $20
    1/24 charge $50
    2/2 charge $30
    2/8 payment $50

You start with the beginning balance and figure how many days did you have that balance, and multiply the balance out by that many days. Then you take a transaction, re-figure the balance, and then multiply by the number of days you had that balance, etc. You have to remember at the end to take the last balance out to the next billing date, which we'll assume to be the same date of the month.

$200 x 1 day = $200
    + $20 charge
    $220 x 7 days = $1540
    + $50 charge
    $270 x 9 days = $2430
    + $30 charge
    $300 x 6 days = $1800
    - $50 payment
    $250 x 8 days = $2000

Add up the days which should equal the number in January, 31. And add up the total dollar amounts = $8001.

This really isn't any different than averaging anything else. If you wanted to average all 31 days, you would write down the balance for each day, add them all up and divide by the 31 days. That's how we do an average. The only difference is that because we have the same balance for several days, we're short-cutting and just multiplying out by that number of days so we get them all in there. (Officially called a weighted average.) I do have 31 days above. And the $8001 is the total I'd get if I added them all individually.

So to get an average I divide 8001/31 days = $258.10 average per day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you calculate interest rates ? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find out the interest rate of a problem if the present value is @265 the durations of time is two years and the future value is $307.

Taxes and interest [ 1 Answers ]

I am on disablitiy and want to know if I can still take the interest towards taxes? I do not make enough to claim taxes and was wondering if I can still take the interest from the house?

Yields, exchange rates and interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

When interest rates falls, then bond prices rise and yields fall. However, when the exchange rate falls, investors demand less bonds, price of bond falls and yields rise. So what happens in an environment of falling interest rates and depreciating exchange rate- the 2 are opposing consequences-...

View more questions Search