Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dominic0904 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 06:49 AM
    My 4 year old male keeps weeing in the house.
    We've had two jack russels for around 4 years now, they are treated well, walked, bathed and so on. Even though we haven't trained them to be super obedient such as always sitting when told to or barking on command, they are good dogs (even if the mis-behave at times) . But the problem is with the male. Because for some reason, he keeps weeing everywhere. We have a female and a male. Both neutered, she is the obvious dominate of the two. They are both house trained, they do their business outside. But the problem with the male is that he does wee at random times in random places in the house, weather it be shopping that was placed on the floor after coming in through the door or if it was a cabinet that was standing for a good year. I want to know how can I stop this? When he does it is completely random, he doesn't poo inside. Only wee. Sometimes he would wee and then not wee for a good four weeks. Other times it can be a month or even a week passes. Can you tell me why he is doing it and how can I stop it?

If you get any questions for me about the dogs that may help you figure out what's causing this then ask away.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 06:58 AM

It's odd for a male that has been neutered to be marking his territory but I know a lot of dogs who do what you have described.
    Weeing on anything new in the house, even shopping bags.

Was he neutered by a trusted vet? Sometimes mistakes can be made and the operation isn't a complete "sucess"

Even so the most you can do is re-train him to go outside again.

Get yourself a really good enzyme cleaner and scrub anywhere he has been to completely get rid of the scent.

I have a male here who is fine doing his wees outside but he does not tell you when he needs to go out, if it has been too long he will wee on the floor right in front of me, he walks while he is doing it to, makes clean up fun :rolleyes:

Just make sure he goes out at regular intervals to help prevent it and scold him for doing it in the house.

Another option I have heard of but not tried is tin foil. Apparently they hate to sound of the urine hitting the foil and will stop. Might not look the best but if you put some in areas he is most likely to go it could aid in deterring him.

Aug 2, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    It's odd for a male that has been neutered to be marking his territory but I know a lot of dogs who do what you have described.
    Weeing on anything new in the house, even shopping bags.

Was he neutered by a trusted vet? Sometimes mistakes can be made and the operation isn't a complete "sucess"

Even so the most you can do is re-train him to go outside again.

Get yourself a really good enzyme cleaner and scrub anywhere he has been to completely get rid of the scent.

I have a male here who is fine doing his wees outside but he does not tell you when he needs to go out, if it has been too long he will wee on the floor right in front of me, he walks while he is doing it to, makes clean up fun :rolleyes:

Just make sure he goes out at regular intervals to help prevent it and scold him for doing it in the house.

Another option I have heard of but not tried is tin foil. Apparently they hate to sound of hte urine hitting the foil and will stop. Might not look the best but if you put some in areas he is most likely to go it could aid in deterring him.

Yes the vet we trust, he did my previous JR (RIP) who was fine.
    We take him (and her) out everyday and he does wee out on the walks fine. He wees in the garden as well when he needs to go when we ain't walking. The problem with scolding him is that we NEVER EVER catch him in the act. We know its him because he lifts his leg :P.

Any tips on re-training him? Because maybe I didn't do the best job. But I don't want to spend all that money on buying those cage things and I would hate to lock him in there to re-train him.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 07:46 AM

Its really hard if you can't catch him doing it, and the fact that it is only on occasion.

Are there any places in the house where he usually goes?
    Is it only on new things or is it in certain corners or near furniture?

You could give the foil a try or there are some products that detter dogs and would work to try and keep him away from those areas.
    They are available at pet stores or at your vets.

Another alternative would be to try puppy pads if the situation gets out of hand but that would mean encouraging him to urinate in the house which is not what you want at the moment!
    That would only work if it gets to a point of him doing it every day.

Aug 2, 2009, 09:26 AM

To be hoenst it is really random what and where he does it on. It is really odd why he does it.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 09:28 AM

I am pretty stuck on this one...

Stick around, there are plenty more doggy lovers on here, hopefully someone else can give you some more ideas when they come online!

I only know what I have read about or had happen myself, with my little horror I just grin and bear it, but I have floorboards which makes it a lot easier to forgive him when he does it :rolleyes:
    I also have an incontinent female so my life pretty much revolves around urine... gross as it is.

If you need cleaning tips though, I'm your girl haha

Aug 2, 2009, 09:36 AM

Then tell me how to get the stains from the carpet XD the carpet is starting to look a little eww with all the small yello stains
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 10:00 AM

I just use soda water on the carpet.
    It eliminates the odor and help lift the stain.
    Sounds very basic but it works really well.

Don't soak the carpet, just make it damp and then dab it with a dry cloth.

Another great odor eliminator is baking soda, sprinkle some on your carpet before you vaccuum.

I use a product called "Vanish - Spot Remover for Carpets" for the stubborn stains but me being in Australia I'm not sure if you could get it there.
    Any product that foams up should do the trick. The one I have sprays onto the carpet and then foams up, you leave it for 5 minutes and then dab with a dry cloth.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Doiminic, try some of the products from pet stores. There are cleansers with scents they claim repel dogs from urinating where it's sprayed. As for cleaning, they're so-so. I'm a fan of the Resolve@ brand carpet cleaners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

23 year old male virgin but not sure what to do. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I'm a 23 year old male virgin and have been with my girlfriend for 6 months (before this she was a really good friend at uni) and I think I'm ready to 'pop my cherry' but I'm not sure what to do. I went to a catholic all boys school until I was 18 so we didn't get taught much and...

My 2 year old male cat has a swollen lip! [ 2 Answers ]

My two year old cats bottom lip is swollen. It started about a week ago and has been bigger then gets smaller... It is now staying the same size. He is still eatiing and acting normal but will not let me touch or even get close to look at it. It has swollen to be over his bottom teeth. First I...

How can a 7 yr old male cat and a 2 year female get along? [ 7 Answers ]

MY mom adopted a male cat that had been fixed and declawed. He is about 7 years old now. She has had him about 3 years now. She recently in the last 4 weeks took in a female cat fixed but not declawed. She hisses at the male cat and tries to attack him. We have tried isolating them and spraying...

20 year old male with 17 year old female in Ohio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is 20 and the had sex with a 17 year old girl and her mom called the cops and supposedly filed a missing persons report but she wasn't gone for 24 hours . I called her mom and she said that the girl had admitted to them having sex and took her to the hospital and the found semen...

Male 4 year old urinating in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Male Pomeranian. He is not fixed. He has continually made mess in the house. I thought I had him trained, but after getting him a female companion, he has resumed his marking.. How can I correct this?

View more questions Search