Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenmountain Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
    Thyroid/Blood Tests
    Hi,

I don't have very much money and I'm self-employed with no health insurance. I am a 25-year-old female and went to a low-cost acupuncture clinic that is part of an integrative medical office with acupuncture and traditional Western medicine. I went in February because I had been very sick for a couple weeks and when I was better, I never regained energy. I still could barely get out of bed with the energy levels I had a week after I was better. Well, I've been treated there for while and with Chinese herbs and at the last visit, the acupuncturist wanted me to go get my thyroid tested, specifically Antithyroglobulin Antibodies, Quant & Thyroglobulin, Quantitative. He gave me a form signed by one of the medical doctors in the same office with these tests ordered.

The medical doctors in the office have no low-cost clinic. And they're very expensive, so I went to a sliding scale clinic to have the tests done. But the doctor said the tests were very expensive and I didn't insurance and they would have to pay for most of it, so she ordered a CBC w/ Differential & Platetlet, Comp Metabolic Panel, T4 Free, TSH (Ultrasensitive). She said to call her when I got the results in the mail if I had any questions.

I got them in the mail yesterday and my red blood cell count and carbon dioxide levels are both low and my MPV is considerably higher than the normal range. The thyroid tests came out normal, but I found out that these tests measure completely different things than what my acupunctist wanted tested and he has a much better idea of what is going on with me than she does.

Also, I gave her lab results from 3.5 years ago and my platelet count has dropped to not much more than half of what it was then. My hemoglobin and hematocrit levels are only barely in the normal range (very low) and have also substantially dropped in the last 3.5 years, as they were almost as high as the high range went.

I called her and left a message. Meanwhile, I realized that second copy of the lab results I had received was supposed to have gone to the clinic, so they probably never received the results.

At this point, they haven't returned my calls and yesterday sent me a form letter in the mail saying my labs were normal and if I continued to have problems, I should schedule a follow-up with the doctor.

After what has happened, I don't know what to do. My results don't sound great and it sounds to me like something is wrong and I don't even think they got the results, but given the way all of this was handled, I don't really trust that this clinic is competent. Any ideas on what to do, how to handle this, or what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    animal house Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmountain
    Hi,

I don't have very much money and I'm self-employed with no health insurance. I am a 25-year-old female and went to a low-cost acupuncture clinic that is part of an integrative medical office with acupuncture and traditional Western medicine. I went in February because I had been very sick for a couple weeks and when I was better, I never regained energy. I still could barely get out of bed with the energy levels I had a week after I was better. Well, I've been treated there for while and with Chinese herbs and at the last visit, the acupuncturist wanted me to go get my thyroid tested, specifically Antithyroglobulin Antibodies, Quant & Thyroglobulin, Quantitative. He gave me a form signed by one of the medical doctors in the same office with these tests ordered.

The medical doctors in the office have no low-cost clinic. And they're very expensive, so I went to a sliding scale clinic to have the tests done. But the doctor said the tests were very expensive and I didn't insurance and they would have to pay for most of it, so she ordered a CBC w/ Differential & Platetlet, Comp Metabolic Panel, T4 Free, TSH (Ultrasensitive). She said to call her when I got the results in the mail if I had any questions.

I got them in the mail yesterday and my red blood cell count and carbon dioxide levels are both low and my MPV is considerably higher than the normal range. The thyroid tests came out normal, but I found out that these tests measure completely different things than what my acupunctist wanted tested and he has a much better idea of what is going on with me than she does.

Also, I gave her lab results from 3.5 years ago and my platelet count has dropped to not much more than half of what it was then. My hemoglobin and hematocrit levels are only barely in the normal range (very low) and have also substantially dropped in the last 3.5 years, as they were almost as high as the high range went.

I called her and left a message. Meanwhile, I realized that second copy of the lab results I had received was supposed to have gone to the clinic, so they probably never received the results.

At this point, they haven't returned my calls and yesterday sent me a form letter in the mail saying my labs were normal and if I continued to have problems, I should schedule a follow-up with the doctor.

After what has happened, I don't know what to do. My results don't sound great and it sounds to me like something is wrong and I don't even think they got the results, but given the way all of this was handled, I don't really trust that this clinic is competent. Any ideas on what to do, how to handle this, or what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    If I understand right, you received lab result numbers from the lab and did not get any explanation of meaning of the results from a medical professional? You really need to speak to your health care professional about the results. Sometimes the numbers look way off and pretty scarey to a non medical person because they do not understand the results. Many times a simple explanation for the results will ease your mind. Be consistent until you receive an explanation.
    nadja550 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Dec 25, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Your Acupuncturist Could Be Right To Want To Check Your Thyroid Function, However, It Could Possibly Be Anemia (there Are Several Types) Pernicious Anemia, Iron-deficient Anemia. Your Red Blood Cells (rbc) Enable Your Body To Carry Oxygen. No Oxygen = No Energy. Your Organs Need Oxygen To Function! I Would Also Have The Doctor Look Into Your Kidney Function Since The Kidneys Help Produce Rbc.
    As Far As Thyroid Tests Go You Want To See Your T3 And T4 Levels. Also Thyroid Antibody Levels. If Your Antibody Level Is High, While Your T3 And T4 Are Normal, It Could Be The Beginning Stages Of Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune Hypothyroidism). Also, Feel For A Large Mass In Your Neck Where Your Thyroid Is... under Active Thryroid=large Thyroid. I Have It And I Know How It Could Make Someone Very Tired.
    Anyway... 1. Check Renal (kidney) Function By Bun And Creatnine Levels In Your Complete Metabolic Panel. 2. Check Thyroid Antibody Level, T3, T4, Feel For Thyroid In Neck.
    I Am A Nurse And To See The Numbers Of These Levels Could Help In Interpreting What Could Be Wrong...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neg blood tests [ 10 Answers ]

I just thought I would share this information that was shared with me... lol... it's funny how we think that blood tests are the end all for knowing if your pregnant or not. This is another site that has a message board and it is to this board that the like goes too... I hope everyone finds it as...

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

Thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you so much for you info on tumor removel , I have one question , My mother inlaw has a tumor on her thyroid non-cancerous type . Im trying to find info on just removeing the tumor none of the lobe or thyroid at all is there a possible surgery out there . Rita J

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for anybody out there that can help , I have a tumor on my thyroid and they want to remove my whole thyroid it is on my left side , my question is , there a surgery that can remove the tumor but not the whole thyroid. Thank You Rita Litwin

Blood tests- please help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got tested at a dept of health facility in the DC area a few weeks ago.A week after I had sorethroat and mild cold.I went back and asked the nurse if there was a chance I might have been contaminated by someone else's needle. She said NO... but I am very concerned that she might have drawn...

View more questions Search