Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    als Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 11:05 AM
    Transformer
    How can you tell if you have blown a transformer? Also, does anyone know where I can find a part number for my transformer without being able to get to the part itself? I have a model number of 58PAV. The circuit board is HK42FZ009. I believe it is Carrier but not 100%
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
    If you have 120 V from the house wire connected one one side, and don't have 24 volts on the usually red and blue wires on the other side, the transformer is shot. Check for a blown fuse. It may be in a fuse holder inline or on the circuit board.

I lost several transformers on my old furnace. The last one I bought was a Radio Shack 273-1512. At that time I bought a 270-1238 inline fuse holder. I had to replace some fuses, but the transformer lasted several years until I replaced the furnace. When I tore it out, I found a place where the chipmunks had chewed the thermostat wiring.

Those transformers are a fairly standard thing. Just make sure a replacement has as high or higher rating as the old, and it is protected by an appropriate size fuse. The 273-1512 has a third secondary lead you tape up and leave unconnected.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Oct 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by als
    How can you tell if you have blown a transformer? Also, does anyone know where I can find a part number for my transformer without being able to get to the part itself? I have a model number of 58PAV. The circuit board is HK42FZ009. I believe it is Carrier but not 100%
    Check the fuse at the transformer before condeming it. It is a 3 Amp...

EDIT: A bit late on the reply...
    Kender Posts: 64, Reputation: 13

Oct 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
    The transformer that LABMAN said will work good.
    Most of the time a transformer goes bad is because the T-stat wire going to the outdoor A/C system is shorting out. Check to make sure that it is not damaged. Dogs love that wire for some reason!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 06:42 PM
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by als
    The best way to test a transformer is to remove it from the circuitry. Test for continuity on the primary and secondary they should read very low ohms, if either read open the transformer is bad. A transformer is nothing more than two oils of wire wrapped next to each other. As the electro magnetic field expands and contracts in the primary loop, it induces voltage to flow in the secondary loop. Most transformers print the color of wires for the primary and secondary, the color codes aren't exactly universal since it can be for 120 or 240 volt systems.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

24 V Transformer Bad, No AC [ 2 Answers ]

One hot Summer day, My Central Air went out, but the fan continued to run even when the thermostat was turned off. The smell of burnt electrical wiring throughout the house. I removed the front cover of the air handler, unplugged the 120 VAC power cord and When I checked the circuit it was...

Replaced transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I had to replace the transformer on my furnace, the little switch beside the fan the on and auto was damaged too I couldn't find one so the man I got the transformer from said to just by pass it and tap it off,, well when I cut the air on ,the fan will come on automatic,, when I cut the heat on...

Transformer [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I've constructed a velleman amp, 2x30watt output, model K4003. Now to power this you need a 50Va transformer. I bought one and the pins along the input side are labelled 0 120 0 120 and the output 0 12 0 12

Transformer [ 3 Answers ]

What happens inside a transformer that increases or decreases the voltage?When a transformer steps up voltages,from where it creates thes voltages?

Transformer wiring [ 18 Answers ]

I have a Payne furnace that had a Intermatic wall timer connected to it. The timer was causing the furnace to come on at various times and sometimes just the blower (it'll run all night). If I hit the on/off button on the timer, it'll disable it for 24 hours. I attempted to disable the timer...

View more questions Search