Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timsueoc Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2009, 11:43 AM
    husband has all-night talks alone with woman friend
    My husband frequently spends all night talking alone to a woman friend of ours. After everyone else has gone to bed, they stay up "talking" sometimes until sunrise. They say they enjoy talking to each other. He swears his loyalty to me and says there is nothing sexual. She says she values my friendship and she says my husband loves me very much. What are the chances they are innocent? Why don't they see that I am uncomfortable with this? (I have vocalized this to my husband, but not the friend.) Why couldn't they just GUESS that a wife would be uncomfortable with this and feel uncomfortable themselves? Should I intervene?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:57 AM

Sounds like an emotional affair. I would express clearly and in simple words that you are uncomfortable and wish it to stop. If he continues you will realize how he feels about you and you can address the situation accordingly.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
    I have guy friends that I am close to and that I talk to frequently. But I am always considerate of my partner's feelings, if he wasn't comfortable I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Why is he up all night while you sleep? Doesn't that leave him sleeping all day while you are awake?

What is the situation with the friend? What is her status? Why are these conversations taking place all night long?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:01 PM

If it upsets you, you've talked to him about it, and it still happens it's time to take the next step. Does this happen frequently? Once in a while? It sounds to me like you need to sit down and talk to him about this a little more thoroughly. I understand that men and women can have friendships with someone of the opposite sex, but to stay up all night talking seems a bit odd to me.
    cjeep23 Posts: 49, Reputation: 10

I agree, there is definently something going on here. It may only be an emotional thing, but it is absolutely not right for your husband to be doing this. Especially if he knows that it makes you that uncomfortable.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Just tell your husband that, if he needs to talk with someone, all night long or whatever, he should be talking with you. Likewise, tell your friend that she should be talking with her husband (if she has one.) And if she doesn't have one, tell her to find another single friend to latch on to for these all-night "chats."
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

You've confronted him and he brushed it off my saying that it's nothing sexual. But you are uncomfortable with the emotional aspect.

As a husband, he should be more considerate of your feelings. But as the person uncomfortable with the situation, you have to sit him down and make your feelings CLEAR and PRECICE, otherwise he will keep brushing you off.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:07 PM

Hello t:

If I were to pick which one of you should change your behavior, I'd have to pick you. It's NOT that I don't understand where you're coming from. I do.

But, he ISN'T violating your trust. He ISN'T cheating. Frankly, I think you'll do long term damage to your relationship if you DO intervene.

excon

Jul 27, 2009, 12:11 PM

Thank you all so much. I have recently learned about emotional cheating and approached my husband that way. He was shocked something non-sexual could hurt me so bad, but takes it seriously and says he will never be alone in her company again (SHE IS SINGLE) in order to avoid hurting me further.

Friday (3 days ago) I have -through email- sent her the emotional cheating information I found and I told her I wanted to talk. She texted me her mother is in the hospital and she wants things to "settle down" before we talk. What I'm wondering now is: Is she a friend to me? Wouldn't a real friend have made some time to reassure another friend - given the degree of upset I've made clear to her?

Jul 27, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello t:

If I were to pick which one of you should change your behavior, I'd have to pick you. It's NOT that I don't understand where you're coming from. I do.

But, he ISN'T violating your trust. He ISN'T cheating. Frankly, I think you'll do long term damage to your relationship if you DO intervene.

excon
    Yes! Yes! This is where I'm torn! I like to let people be themselves! I feel like a jerk but I am SO hurt and sometimes cry myself to sleep when they are up alone...
    Family & People Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:13 PM
    You should try to work things out with your husband first before worrying about this woman.

If she was a true friend, she would know herself that it would be hurting you by talking to your husband all night.

If you feel SO uncomfortable, you have to bring it up. You are married, you should be able to talk about anything with your husband.

"He was shocked something non-sexual could hurt me so bad"
    That sounds like progress to me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:15 PM

Hello again, t:

Wow... All that happened in the last 45 minutes?? We're either THAT good, or you've been pulling our chain...

excon

Jul 27, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timsueoc View Post
    Yes! Yes! This is where I'm torn! I like to let people be themselves! I feel like a jerk but I am SO hurt and sometimes cry myself to sleep when they are up alone...
    I feel like they are getting closer and closer and I am getting more distant from both of them.

Part of me says, Let it play out... if it's meant to be... you can't stop fate... etc...
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:16 PM

GOOD NEWS: He isn't sleeping with her. I'm confident of that.

BAD NEWS: He is not respecting your space 100%.

I think this will all be fine, but just be open and honest and say that if his best friend is not in the house (i.e. you) you are not comfortable. And that is normal. She is no devil, but leaned on a shoulder that was married and was not comfortable for you... some people it would not bother... if it bothers you, it's good to talk it out.

That said, your communication skills worry me. Why are you crying yourself to sleep rather than talking to him?
    Don't let this get too big in your head before you all speak.

How old were you when you got married? How long did you date?

Jul 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, t:

Wow.... All that happened in the last 45 minutes??? We're either THAT good, or you've been pulling our chain...

excon
    Yes, well I wanted some answers on the original situation. I found this site AFTER I intervened and have been questioning myself... and questioning EVERYTHING! I didn't feel good about their talks, but also I don't feel good about my intervention :(
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
    I think he has no business 'frequently having all night talks with a woman friend'. Would it be acceptable if you didn't know her?

I think you need to give your head a shake here and realize that it is NOT right!! He needs to put a stop to the conversations, and your friend needs a reminder of boundaries and that she has crossed the line with a married man!

What do they talk about- baseball? Politics? Potty training? That might take up all of five minutes, a stretch, but maybe 10. THEN what are they talking about.

In my opinion only a fool would think that isn't the first step in developing a relationship that will go beyond a telephone. Maybe it has already.

I can't believe that this would be considered harmless... sheesh.

Jul 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    I think he has no business 'frequently having all night talks with a woman friend'. Would it be acceptable if you didn't know her?

I think you need to give your head a shake here and realize that it is NOT right!!!!!! He needs to put a stop to the conversations, and your friend needs a reminder of boundaries and that she has crossed the line with a married man!

What do they talk about- baseball? Politics? Potty training? That might take up all of five minutes, a stretch, but maybe 10. THEN what are they talking about.

In my opinion only a fool would think that isn't the first step in developing a relationship that will go beyond a telephone. Maybe it has already.

I can't believe that this would be considered harmless......sheesh.
    Absolutely right & when I ask what they talk about they both answer NOTHING. Everyone calls me a naïve, passive, blonde - but I do catch on eventually. This is the 3rd summer this has been happening.
    Family & People Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timsueoc View Post
    Absolutely right & when I ask what they talk about they both answer NOTHING. Everyone calls me a naive, passive, blonde - but I do catch on eventually. This is the 3rd summer this has been happening.
    Wow, more facts come to light. This sounds like a much bigger problem than when you first posted the question.

1) Either you have very poor communication skills and he just doesn't understand the pain that you are going through.

2) Or he just doesn't care.

At first I thought it was 1), poor communications skills, but now I'm leaning towards 2). You really need to sit him down and be PRECISE and UPFRONT with him. This problem won't fix itself magically.

If there's no improvement in his behavior, then you will have to take more drastic measures such as marriage counselling.
    expattoexpert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
    That is inappropriate and disrespectful. So you ought to speak up about it immediately. If you allow this to continue yourself esteem will be to the floor. Stop it before it is too late.

Jul 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash123 View Post
    GOOD NEWS: He isn't sleeping with her. I'm confident of that.

BAD NEWS: He is not respecting your space 100%.

I think this will all be fine, but just be open and honest and say that if his best friend is not in the house (i.e. you) you are not comfortable. And that is normal. She is no devil, but leaned on a shoulder that was married and was not comfortable for you...some people it would not bother.....if it bothers you, it's good to talk it out.

That said, your communication skills worry me. Why are you crying yourself to sleep rather than talking to him?
    Don't let this get too big in your head before you all speak.

How old were you when you got married? How long did you date?
    I, too, am shocked at my communication skills! I pride myself on expressing myself honestly and constructively. I guess I've been fooling myself. Fact is, once I asked him not to do it and he PROMISED he wouldn't (2 years ago)... alcohol is involved - they stay up all night DRINKING and talking - - and he said he wanted to stay up talking and didn't remember (OR HONOR) the promise.

This is my second marriage. I have been married now 10 years to a man 18 years my junior. I am 53, she is 47, he is 36.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband has a child with another woman [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am here in high hopes that I can get some extreme help. My husband has a son with another woman and that is by far not the real issue here. He and she were together before we got together so I have absolutely no remorse for this. My real problem is such: I have always been...

Husband still talks the woman he had an affair with [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is still texting the woman he had an affair with a year and a half ago. How can I trust him? He deleates the texts, but I have my way of finding out that he still does, and he still lies saying that he isn't. He says they are just friends, how can I trust him?

Woman Controls Husband! [ 13 Answers ]

I know a woman who controls her husband. They get along just well. But the husband does not know what to do. She has full on control of him and If you were to seee them you probably would never even notice. The love each other. But she always is threatening him to divorce him if he doesn't kick his...

Woman ninja by night movie [ 1 Answers ]

A movie from the 80ies or early 90ies about a woman that turns into a ninja by night. She is unconscious of whatever goes on while she is transformed, as if taken over by an evil spirit. She would often return home and wake up the next morning with bruises etc.. Her boyfrd or husband starts to...

Husband Going To Another Woman [ 5 Answers ]

I did not realize that me and my husband were having problems... Everything seemed okay until he just hit me with it out of the blue last Tuesday... We had a long talk and got a lot of things out in the open and the past week has been absolutely wonderful... My problem and question is......

View more questions Search