Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Jul 26, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Aug 1 is my deadline. There going to increase my rent by $300.
    We live in an apartment for 9 years. My son's friends come often. I'm considered the neighborhood mom. We have kids coming in and out but none staying 1 week like the law states to include other people in the rental agreement. I received a letter stating they know we have three more people living in this household as a result we need to pay an additional $300. We only have three people living here, all on the rental agreement. How do I fight this? I cannot afford $300 more a month, and for what? Something that is not true? Please help my deadline is this week
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 02:10 PM

What specifics does your lease say about rent increases? What law are you stating covers this issue and where are you?

Jul 26, 2009, 02:13 PM

We live in California. We are renting month to month.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:14 PM

They can raise your rent with 30 days notice, they can do this every month if they want.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:29 PM

I received a letter Thursday stating the increase for Aug. What should I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 02:45 PM

Go talk to the management,

But if you have two friends staying this week, one other friend staying the next week, two others the next week, then you basically have others living there if there is always someone there.

Because of the extra number of various people coming and going, I see no reason why they can't, esp if you are on a month to month rental.

So I guess you
    1. pay the extra
    2. move to somewhere cheaper
    3. talk to the management and stop having people over and being the neighbor hood mom

Jul 26, 2009, 03:44 PM

They can not legally raise your rent until 30 days have past no matter how many folks are living in your home. Once the 30 day notice, for month to month renters, has past they can do what they say. You should get yourself prepared for what grandpa used to call a wee wee match between two skunks. They can also just tel you to leave after 30 days. I am very surprised you are month to month in a unit where you have lived for so long, how did that come about?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Go talk to the management,

But if you have two friends staying this week, one other friend staying the next week, two others the next week, then you basicly have others living there if there is always someone there.

Because of the extra number of various people comming and going, I see no reason why they can't, esp if you are on a month to month rental.

So I guess you
    1. pay the extra
    2. move to somewhere cheaper
    3. talk to the management and stop having people over and being the neighbor hood mom
    I quite agree with you on this one, Chuck. It seems that the management must have been keeping tabs on this particular unit and seeing just who is staying there. The OP says that no one stays the two week limit BUT she then goes on to say that there is a constant flow of "extra" people staying with her. Just because the lease says 3 people, the landlord wants 3 people living there - not 3 regular people and several "extra" people a week.

Either pay the extra money or stop the "extra" people from staying over. Apparently your landlord does not like to pay for extra water.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 06:32 PM

I had s similar issue in TN in one of my rental houses. It was a two bedroom but they had two or three grandkids at least every week and every night. It was rented to them as a couple ( two people)

Jul 26, 2009, 07:39 PM

I agree, she may have to pay the extra money but she can not be forced to pay until the 30 days notice has run its course.

Jul 26, 2009, 11:39 PM

I live in California if that helps .

Jul 29, 2009, 02:52 PM

I stopped the sleepovers and I sent two faxes to the Management company. I left messages at there office with no responds. All explaining we are good long term tenants of 9 years and we are careful we do not have any guest more than a few days. Aug 1 approaching. I don't know what else to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2009, 03:23 PM

The only thing you can do is wait it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase on rent control in Jersey City, NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the what the percentage of rental increase is for a rent control building in Jersey City? Also, can the landlord ask for additional deposit for the rental unit? Thanks... Jay

Rent increase in CA [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord in CA gave me a 30-day notice to move out by the end of September of 2008 after having constantly harassing and disturbing me with loud radio noises, slamming on doors and verbal abuses. But when I was looking for another rental place and was preparing to move some of my stuffs to a...

Rent Increase [ 2 Answers ]

We own a rental home in Newburgh, NY and would like to increase the rent. Do you know if NY State has a cap on how much we can increase the rent (5%? 10?% dollar amount? ) and how much notice we have to give.

Rent increase in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been renting an apartment for a about a year under a lease contract in New Jersey. I have had no problems with the landlord or have they had a problem with me that I am aware of. Heat and electric utilities are included in my rent. I am very mindful and considerate of the use of...

Increase in Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I was fortunate enough to acquire a rental problem on the Gulf Coast of MS one month before Hurricane Katrina devastated the area. I was extremely fortunate that the rental property had only minor damages. We were given the option of signing a 1 or 2 year lease and chose a 2 year contract with...

View more questions Search