Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Arturo "Thunder" Gatti
    This is kind of old, but did any of you hear of boxer Arturo Gatti's death earlier this month? It came on the heel of Steve McNair's death and like McNair, he was killed by a significant other.

I thought the timing was strange because they just started filming Fighter, about the life and times of "Irish" Micky Ward being play by Mark Wahlberg, who I saw the other day. The connection is Gatti is the fighter that made Micky Ward famous.

Micky and Arturo fought in 2001 in what was said to be the fight of the century, they're also on the cover of Fight Night Round 3 for PS2. If you can, look up Ward-Gatti I, even if you don't like boxing you'll be impressed.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 10:25 AM

I was very upset last week when I heard about Gatti passing. The Ward Gatti fights were some of the most brutal fights I have ever seen. I kept my old VCR just because I have Ward Gatti I on VHS. So when someone tries to tell UFC is 10 times better then boxing I pop that tape in and watch their jaws hit the floor.

It is crazy how after those fights Ward became a part of Gatti's camp. It's like Rocky and Apollo Creed.
    jrk Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 02:00 PM

The third fight is pretty good too. So is the second one, but it doesn't compare to I and III. The ninth round in the first fight is just so amazing I don't even know what to say when I watch. My mouth just hangs there.

Jeremy
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I was very upset last week when I heard about Gatti passing. The Ward Gatti fights were some of the most brutal fights I have ever seen. I kept my old VCR just because I have Ward Gatti I on VHS. So when someone tries to tell UFC is 10 times better then boxing I pop that tape in and watch their jaws hit the floor.

It is crazy how after those fights Ward became a part of Gatti's camp. It's like Rocky and Apollo Creed.
    I didn't appreciate boxing when that about happened, nor did I have HBO. But I did see Ward-Gatti I years after and you, like you said it is brutal.

Well, we can add welterweight champ Vernon Forrest to the list, I saw on my phone last night he was murdered.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 06:51 AM

I know I saw that about Vernon this morning. Messed up he was getting robbed and they shot him 7 to 8 times. So sad.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 12:10 PM

I just read Gatti's death was ruled as a suicide by Brazilian police.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 12:17 PM

A suicide!! Man that is nuts.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jul 31, 2009, 05:13 PM
    I can't believe this was ruled a suicide. Maclean's magazine said that he had a head injury and appears that he was strangled with his wife's purse strap. It was obvious he didn't hang himself. The news said that Quebec's coroner will perform an autopsy at the request of his family. Brazilian police are very corrupt and it looks like they are just protecting the wife because she is a citizen. Hopefully justice will prevail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search