Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jebidiahsuicide Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
    2003 3.75HP Murray Push Mower Using Way Too Much Fuel
    I have a 2003 Murray push mower model 220011X92A that I bought new back in 2003/2004. Never really had any problems until last week (July 2009). The mower started sputtering and the engine was revving up and down in a regular rhythm. I also noticed that it started using gas like never before. Before the problem started I could mow a large lawn with 1 tank of gas and still have fuel left, after the problem started I can't finish my back yard without refilling the gas tank 2-3 times. It seems obvious that too much fuel is making it into the engine, but I'm not sure where to start to look for the problem.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 07:12 PM

Hi,
    Look far a clogged or soaked air filter first.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 22, 2009, 07:30 PM
    I neglected to mention I did take the air filter off for a short time, and while it was off I opened the throttle all the way for a bit. The engine ran better, but still sputtered and would sometimes die. The air filter wasn't soaked and seemed fine.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hi,
    Not a comon thing but I would say you need to replace the diaphrgm between th carb and tank. I would say it has developed a pinhole that allows the engine to draw fuel through it by vacuum.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 8, 2009, 08:08 PM

Crigby, that did it. I ordered a diaphragm online, replaced it, and mowed the lawn the same day. Thanks much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray push lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray push lawnmower that I want to know the year of manufacture. Model 21673X92A Date Mfg 1283 It has a Tecumseh engine TVXL115 56025A Many thanks.

Murray Riding Mower/ fuel filter location [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot find the fuel filter on my Murray riding mower, model 30500X92A.

Murray push mower won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

My murray push mower won't stay on. What should I do ? I've changed the gas and replaced the oil. I have even replaced the spark plug.It turns on for about 3 seconds and turns right off.

Murray push motor keeps turning off! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay... I have a new to me (used) push murrray lawn mower that I just tried to use today. It was winterized and had no oil or gas in it over the winter. I filled the gas and oil... and lawnmower starts but only stays on for 3-10 seconds before it turns off on me. I did push the primer button...

View more questions Search