Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:26 AM
    What do you think James 4:4 means?
    When I was a little girl, my father told me this story and I use to think about it when I was young because I didn't understand it. Certainly I get it now and feel it is so relevant in my life and the lives of many Christians who feel persecuted for their belief in absolute truth.

My father was delivering mail at a local church in my hometown. The secretary Said to him "Mr. Mailman how is the world treating you"? His reply was kind but too the point he said "did you know that being a friend of the world is to be a enemy of God"? She was SHOCKED and she was SURE that verse was NOT in the Bible. James 4:4

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4

Now, my Dad was always quoting scripture and the secretary knew he was a Christian. She too professed it but at every turn watered it down or straddle the fence or as I personally like to say... was milquetoast at best. Back in the day, I thought my Dad should have just said he was fine and walked out. ( I thought he was goofy and embarrassing and SQUARE)! Ha. Now I LOVE his reply.

So my question is: What do you think James 4:4 means?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:55 AM

It means that if you say you are a Christian but chase after the things of the world it is the same as cheating on a spouse because you are not committed to God by desiring the things or the approval of the worldly minded people.
    rnrg Posts: 48, Reputation: 20

Jul 20, 2009, 07:20 AM
    [QUOTE=classyT;1868062]When I was a little girl, my father told me this story and I use to think about it when I was young because I didn't understand it. Certainly I get it now and feel it is so relevant in my life and the lives of many Christians who feel persecuted for their belief in absolute truth.

My father was delivering mail at a local church in my hometown. The secretary Said to him "Mr. Mailman how is the world treating you"? His reply was kind but too the point he said "did you know that being a friend of the world is to be a enemy of God"? She was SHOCKED and she was SURE that verse was NOT in the Bible. James 4:4

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4

Now, my Dad was always quoting scripture and the secretary knew he was a Christian. She too professed it but at every turn watered it down or straddle the fence or as I personally like to say... was milquetoast at best. Back in the day, I thought my Dad should have just said he was fine and walked out. ( I thought he was goofy and embarrassing and SQUARE)! Ha. Now I LOVE his reply.

This is a verse that will always raise eyebrows because it forces believers to "check" and see if in fact they may be straddling the fence as you mentioned earlier. God's Word tells us as Christians that we are to be set apart for Him (1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.)

When we become Christians, we become new creatures; the new has come while the old has gone. The world (sinful man) is against God and all He stands for. The world creates "their belief" that make allowances for their worldly ways. God's Word, however, has boundaries; it is written in "black and white" and must be accepted in faith. As Christians we are to stay within the boundaries and just trust God. We must remain steadfast and not let the pull of the "world" cause us to pause and consider its "offerings". When we begin to "hold hands" with the world, our relationship with God, our family, our spouses and our church will always suffer. When in doubt always ask God. There is nothing in the "world" worth going to Hell for! RNRG
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 07:46 AM

Just had a Great teaching on this subject over the weekend. Classy, your father was doing exactly what the Bible admonishes us all to do, but often are too afraid to do. Congratulations on having a legacy to look back on.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 07:52 AM

Another thought on somewhat the same thing is finding balance because Paul did teach about being all things to all men.
    "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some" (1 Cor. 9:22, NIV).

While that did not mean going into the world and sinning it did mean Paul had a way of relating to people.

Often the Church gets so heavenly minded it is no earthly good at bringing in the non Christians to get saved.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Another thought on somewhat the same thing is finding balance because Paul did teach about being all things to all men.
    "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some" (1 Cor. 9:22, NIV).

While that did not mean going into the world and sinning it did mean Paul had a way of relating to people.

Often the Church gets so heavenly minded it is no earthly good at bringing in the non Christians to get saved.
    Nohelp,

Couldn't agree more. If he had quoted that verse to someone had NOT claimed Christianity, I suppose it would have been inappropriate too! They would have thought he was nutty. But I believe when responding to people Christians and NON Christians we should use wisdom. We need to meet them where they are but it gave her food for thought and ME as well. Because I never got it... I just thought he was a great big giganitic LOOSER... LOL hey, I adore the man and now and appreciate his wisdom.

But it isn't a very popular thing to quote. I sometimes feel like as long as we as the Church embrace all FAITHS as truth then we can be accepted by the world. I think we should do like the Apostle Paul... fight the good fight and NOT waver in our beliefs just because it is popular. They hated Jesus for speaking truth... AND I'm not suggesting I am Jesus or can always speak the truth. But I think you know what I mean. :)
    rnrg Posts: 48, Reputation: 20

Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Nohelp,

couldn't agree more. If he had quoted that verse to someone had NOT claimed Christianity, i suppose it would have been inappropriate too! They would have thought he was nutty. But i believe when responding to people Christians and NON Christians we should use wisdom. We need to meet them where they are but it gave her food for thought and ME as well. Because I never got it...i just thought he was a great big giganitic LOOSER...LOL hey, I adore the man and now and appreciate his wisdom.

But it isn't a very popular thing to quote. I sometimes feel like as long as we as the Church embrace all FAITHS as truth then we can be accepted by the world. I think we should do like the Apostle Paul....fight the good fight and NOT waver in our beliefs just because it is popular. They hated Jesus for speaking truth.... AND I'm not suggesting I am Jesus or can always speak the truth. But i think you know what I mean. :)

Along the same lines of "running the race," I am reminded of how people are lined up alongside the road when a marathon is being run. You always have people all along the way handing out water and thirst quenchers that would aid the runner. Could you imagine how a runner would feel, if some of the bystanders handed out sodas. It would definitely harm the runner. Only those that had been a runner or had the understanding of a runner would hand out water that would aid him.

The same thing happens in our Christian race. We have God who is supplying us with Living Water during our race along with our Christian brothers and sisters that encourage and "root" for us along the way. As Christians we need to be able to recognize those of the world that would offer us their "imitation of water" that slows our Spiritual bodies down. Just a thought. Rita
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rnrg View Post
    Along the same lines of "running the race," I am reminded of how people are lined up alongside the road when a marathon is being run. You always have people all along the way handing out water and thirst quenchers that would aid the runner. Could you imagine how a runner would feel, if some of the bystanders handed out sodas. It would definitely harm the runner. Only those that had been a runner or had the understanding of a runner would hand out water that would aid him.

The same thing happens in our Christian race. We have God who is supplying us with Living Water during our race along with our Christian brothers and sisters that encourage and "root" for us along the way. As Christians we need to be able to recognize those of the world that would offer us their "imitation of water" that slows our Spiritual bodies down. Just a thought. Rita
    Rita,

I really liked that thought. We can't live without water can we? We as Christians need each other and encouragement.

P.S. I have been given so much soda pop lately I'm about to swell up and explode :D!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
    In general I think it's a warning that to engage in worldly pursuits leads one away from God because the two are naturally incompatible. The things of the world are sinful or encourage sinfulness and we've got to understand that. There are those who don't necessarily want to believe that and it sounds like this secretary was one of them.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Classyt
    When we become real true Christians we are not of those world bust Of God's world.
    Generally speaking this world is that of Satan with all of it's evils such as warm raped, murders, muggings, and all of the other nasty terrible things we humans do to each other which pleases Satan.
    That part of this world which is good comes from God.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would anyone change their identity by their own means or by professional means? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow users I am conducting research on this matter to aid myself look for a loved one who has not been seen for six years. I suspect that my friend has changed their identity and I need to understand how this can be done.

James Brown [ 1 Answers ]

James Brown's score for this film was rejected by the producers. He then recycled It into a hit album of his own. Name the film.

James Bond [ 3 Answers ]

Long before he debuted on screen as 007 in 1973's Live and Let Die, Roger Moore played James Bond in an appearance on this popular British TV comedy show. Name it.

View more questions Search