Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stupidme1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Hi there, Im a 25 yr old Medical Student and made the biggest mistake of my life a few months ago when I stole $600 from my employer! The cops took me away and I totally denied the whole thing and have been charged with Theft under $5000 and fraud now! This is my 1st offence...
    The cops say they have proof but I doubt if they got any surveillance of me stealing.
    My court date is early next month and I can't afford a lawyer because I'm a full time student and don't work at all. I've gone under depression and can barely function. I am a very respectful person in my community and nobody knows about this charge... YET!
    I want to know what kind of punishment I'm looking at? I can NOT go to jail or get a criminal record as it will affect my chances of getting a practicum and possibly even prevent me from graduating in Nov. 2009
    Please help me...

Thank you... it helps a lot. I am trying my best 2 stay calm but its easier said then done... ;(
    Im wondering, Suppose if they do have something on me, would the case be dismissed anyway if I showed up to court but the other party didn't? Or even the investigating officer? Im planning on consulting a lawyer but just thinking about this is so depressing... ;(
    Thanks for all your help... God bless you :)
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2009, 04:28 PM
    If you can't afford an attorney, most states have a legal aid, which will provide you with legal services on a sliding scale based on your income. Also, most attorney's provide a free consultation, where they may be able to give you a ball park figure based on their official opinion.

If you want to look up the amount of time a specific crime calls for, go to your local courthouse or library, go to the legal section and look up the charge in the crimes code. Typically, the entire range of punishments are given for every charge. In Pa, it is referred to as Title 18. I am sure it varies from state to state though. Say nothing... consult with an attorney.

There are so many variables from case to case, mitigating and aggravating circumstances, your criminal history, what evidence is stacked up against you, etc...

Police and other agencies will use a scare tactic and say that they have "evidence", when they really do not. They may say they have video surveillance, but are just trying to squeeze a confession out of you... it is a very common tactic. If you didn't do anything, then you can assume that they have no such evidence. If you did do what they are accusing you of, again... consult an attorney and say nothing. Either way, you will need to consult an attorney.

Once the case is further down the line, you will be entitled to a discovery report where it will detail the prosecution's entire case against you. All the evidence will be in that report. Then you can formulate a proper defense once you know what evidence is at their disposal.

Also, remember that it costs the business money to pursue a case against people. Since the monetary amount is so small, it is simple math to realize that a criminal prosecution is not with the time and effort to pursue. Attorney's are not cheap... neither for private citizens as yourself, nor big companies. It is a gamble, but it is also a fact that most companies have policy that forbids legal action when it is under a certain amount of money. Call an attorney... assume nothing... try to remain calm.

Hope this helps
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:57 PM

You need an Attorney if you EVER intend to get a professional license.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 08:25 PM

Please only ask a question once, if you have more info to add, merely "answer" your own question to add more info.

Your other similar posts have been deleted
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 29, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Do not bank on people simply not showing up to win your case. If people who are involved with cases have conflicting schedules, the hearing(s) are typically continued to a future date. Of course, if the parties involved in the case are continuously asking for new court dates for this or that reason, the judge, at whatever level, can proceed with or without them or you. It is typically not a good outcome for the absent party's case. To get your hopes up on the case being thrown out because the entity pressing the issue is habitually absent is just wishful thinking at this point.

You may have to wait until there are actual charges filed against you prior to consulting an attorney if you expect any concrete answers. Attorneys are typically reactive at this point. This may all just go away on its own... I am quite sure that you are sweating this out, but wait until there is something to sweat about before you start to get all worried about this and that.

If charges are filed, you may have to fork up the cash for legal representation right now, but you will be soooo glad you did in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

19year old 1st offender with theft&fraud under $5000. [ 5 Answers ]

OK so back in August, a customer came into my store to make a purchase. While putting in their pin, I watched the lady and then gave her a gift card instead of her debit back. On my break, I went to the nearest bank and made two transactions of $250. Now I know that this sounds horrible and...

Theft/fraud under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently foolishly stole money off my dads bank cards and now the police are getting involved and I know I will for sure be caught because my face is all over bank cameras. The sum of money taken totals about 1200 dollars. I'm 19 and this is would be my first offence and I am not known to police....

Theft or fraud over $5000 [ 20 Answers ]

Well first of all, I'm in ontario so I guess any answers someone can give me, hopefully you're familiar with ontario/canadian law. All I want to know is if I committed a crime/fraud/theft or otherwise. I feel like crap for what I did. I screwed up in a big way but I really meant for things to...

Fraud/ Theft in Canada over 5000$ [ 4 Answers ]

I found a glitch in the bank system in Canada and during this glitch you can transfer money from an empty checking account to your savings and the machine will do this transfer. What are the consequences of this if I took over 200.000$? Is this theft or fraud and what is the statute of limitations...

Theft/Fraud under $5000 [ 3 Answers ]

I've recently been scammed by a "friend". She was helping me sell some Play station 3 game consoles, and few days later she told me they were stolen. After that I waited a while than checked about the status of the police report etc. and found out she never filed one, and for two weeks I called...

View more questions Search