Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cajundrawl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Fresh Cherries How can I freeze not make preserves
    Hi

I have purchased a bunch of fresh cherries I would like to freeze. How can I save them and not make preserved with them so I can bake wit them later on?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 01:41 PM

How to Freeze Cherries
    You can freeze fresh cherries, but they should be pitted first, otherwise they will take on an almond flavor from the pit. Beware the juice when pitting cherries, as it will stain clothing.

Freeze whole, pitted sweet cherries in 40 percent syrup (4 cups water plus 3 cups sugar) with 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid (or citrus juice) added per quart of liquid.

They may also be pitted and frozen without liquid in plastic bags with all the air removed. Some cooks prefer to freeze separated cherries on a cookie sheet and then pack in bags for freezing.

To freeze sour cherries for pie filling, stir 3/4 cup of sugar into each quart of pitted, whole sour cherries. Pack in rigid airtight containers with 1/2-inch headspace or airtight bags. Frozen cherries will last ten to twelve months in the freezer.

Oh, sorry, didn't say the source... from my cook book.

Tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Is that 1/2 teas. Of asorbic acid equal to (?) teas. Of citrus juice, or is it the same?
    Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 02:40 PM

I use l/2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice. Should have mentioned that.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 05:11 AM

Yep, they are equal. I don't know why anyone would want to use acorbic though unless for some reason they are allergic to citrus. Acorbic is vitamin C anyway.

Tick
    moshimaggie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Put them in non freezer burn zip lock bags

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100 % Fresh Air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am performing cooling load calculations for a general hospital.in one zone I rerquire 100% freshy air for TB clinics and other ares, like , clean utility, pharmacy,waiting and corridor to have normal 15% freash air. I sit possible to literally achieve this through one AHU.Thanks

Preserving fresh cherries [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a way to preserve fresh cherries please? Also any recipes using them would be gratefully received... thanks

Did anyone use FRESH UP [ 6 Answers ]

I saw this website and I wanted to know if anyone used this or heard of it? Dark Lips Treatment - Use FRESH UP to Lighten Dark Lips, Nipples, Scars and Stretch Marks Removal Thanks

80's kid's movie with magic cherries that keep you young [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help? They were like little muppet kind of kid things that through their closet door was another world where there was a huge elephant. Anyone ? Please!

How to keep things fresh [ 2 Answers ]

Basically just want to ask for any suggestions on keepings things fresh, lively, etc. ina relationship. You can't always rely on dinner and a movie or hanging out at a bar and stuff so I was just asking what are some other things that can be done as an activity or excuse to just hang out with your...

View more questions Search