Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MizzCazzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 03:59 AM
    How to correct errors on trial balance
    OK. So I've done an unadjusted trial balance, but when I totaled up my debit and credit balances. I was 50 dollars off. And the only thing that I could think that I messed up on was when I recorded the sales commission transaction that was paid with cash. I did it as a credit to the sales commissions and a debit to the cash. Was that correct? And if not how is it supposed to be done. If anyone can please help me I would be extremely grateful
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 05:36 AM

I am not privy in full as to what you are talking about.
    You are not correct about your
    Sales Commission Transaction.

This is an EXPENSE.
    All expenses are DEBITS.

Therfore it should have been:-

DEBIT Sales Commission Account
    CREDIT Cash Account.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 01:00 AM

However... having an entry backwards won't put you out of balance. The math doesn't know that your entry is backwards, because the debits & credits were still equal. You could have used the wrong accounts or anything, but as long as that entry is equal (and everything posted right, added right, etc), you'll still balance.

Not balancing is in the math somewhere, not in the accounts you used. That is, each entry must be equal. All entries must be posted, and posted for the correct dollar amount to the correct side. All the math within an account must be correct, i.e. balanced out right. All those balances must be copied to the trial balance correctly, and all of them listed. This is what it takes to get a trial balance that balances. Notice this does not include getting the correct account in the entry to begin with, only that it balances.

(I always have to burst people's balloons by telling them that a balanced trial balance doesn't mean everything is correct, only that it balances mathematically.)

You have to find the math error. Re-add the columns, check that you copied everything from the accounts correctly and that you didn't miss anything, re-balance each account. If all else fails, check your postings. Look for $25. Something on the wrong side will double itself. (If you had $25 on the wrong side, it would be $50 off.)

We don't know where the error is other than seeing quite literally every bit of work you did. You'll have to find it... all we can do is give some hints.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct the Trial Balance [ 2 Answers ]

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! This trial balance of Titus Co. does not balance. TITUS COMPANY Trial Balance June 30, 2010 Debit Credit Cash $4,890 Accounts Receivable ...

Errors in Journalizing and posting & effects on trial balance [ 4 Answers ]

I am confused with this part of my homework.. here it is... The bookkeeper for Stan Tucci Equipment repair made a number of errors in journalizing and posting, as described below. 1.A debit posting of $750 for prepaid insurance was debited to insurance expense. 2. A cash purchase of...

View more questions Search