Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sissyroo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
    Throwing Or Dropping Objects On Moving Vehicle
    Is Throwing Or Dropping Objects On Moving Vehicle a violent crime or a nonviolent crime?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 01:43 AM

Attempted murder sound good to you??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 06:34 AM

Hello S:

Pretty violent.

excon
    answer_guru Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Yes it is a violent crime and not only can be considered attempted murder, but also murder depending on what happens when the object hits the car. The driver can lose control and hit another vehicle, or object or more directly when you look at the physics involved, a car driving at 50 mph and a 5-10 lbs object hitting the windshield can shatter the glass and send it into the driver or passenger's face. Don't expect to get off with a slap on the wrist, this form of vandalism has been deadly too many times in the past for DAs and judges to let you off just because you aren't an adult, this stupid little prank could easily put you in jail until your 40s.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:42 AM

Are we talking about throwing out a McDonalds wrapper or a beer bottle or brick? That will likely be the determining factor.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Are we talking about throwing out a McDonalds wrapper or a beer bottle or brick? That will likely be the determining factor.
    Hello steve:

Here in Seattle, kids have been caught dropping large rocks from an overpass onto the cars driving on the freeway below. I'll bet THAT'S the what OP is talking about.

It's like shooting a gun into a crowd.

excon
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello steve:

Here in Seattle, kids have been caught dropping large rocks from an overpass onto the cars driving on the freeway below. I'll bet THAT'S the what OP is talking about.

It's like shooting a gun into a crowd.

excon
    Oh dud - I read it as "out of" moving vehicles and was thinking littering.

Yeah... very violent and potentially a life crime.

And of course yet another shining example of bad parenting and my argument that if the child is charged with a crime, the parent should be also.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:15 AM

Here in Ohio not too long ago some teenagers were throwing unripe watermelons at passing vehicles. Well, some old guy took offense at this when his car was hit, stopped his car, got out his shotgun and shot the offenders! Yes, the driver did go to jail, but he didn't draw such a long sentence as the kids were not killed, just wounded.

Moral of the story - don't throw watermelons at cars with potentially irate drivers in them that have shotguns.

Also, in larger cities the overpasses have "cages" on them so heavy objects can not be tossed at the traffic passing underneath them.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 10:44 AM

We had issues this year with frozen turkeys, as well as some live ones who threw themselves into the cars
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2009, 12:41 PM

There was a well publicized case on LI a couple of years back. Some kids (late teens) stole a credit card and used it to purchase a number of items. They then went driving around in a car and one of them decided to throw a frozen turkey out the window. It smashed through the windshiled of another car seriously injuring the driver. The kids were heavily prosecuted.

As Steve pointed out, there is a big difference between littering and throwing out an object that could cause harm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropping out at 16 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone... My son is 16 year old and has never like school. Since the beginning of his middle school years he has given me and his grandma problem to go to school. Now at 16 years old he does not want to attend school. His problem is he is not a morning person, he hates getting up to go to...

Objects moving through space [ 3 Answers ]

In my daily lesson today I read that heavier objects don't fall faster because gravity pulls on them more, but because their greater mass helps them overcome air resistance better. Therefore, in a vacuum all objects fall at the same speed. This implies that if two objects, one with large and one...

Baby dropping [ 2 Answers ]

I know with the first baby, they can drop quite a while before you go into labor. However, I am not sure what to think about with subsequent pregnancies, as I have heard you they usually don't drop until you go into early labor.So just looking for some opinions:) I've got six weeks left, and I feel...

What to do about byfriend who jumped out of moving vehicle [ 9 Answers ]

Well I need to let some things off my chest. I have been in a relationship for over 4 years with the same individual whom we will call (Tito). I just recently moved into an apt with him. Prior to that we have been living together since the inception of our relationship in 2003. Well this...

View more questions Search