Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neurian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Landlord breaks two year lease and tells us to leave.
    I just signed a two-year lease with my landlord. One month in he is telling us we have to leave. We live in Florida. He just had an attorney send us a get out in 15 day notice. Why should we leave if we have a two year lease and have always made payments on time? What to do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 02:52 PM

If he is going to break the lease and make you move he has to follow the legal eviction procedure for your state. I guess he may be in his rights if the attorney is not telling him otherwise, but it is good that you are checking into the legalities of what he is doing.

Is he saying he will give you your deposit back?
    You say you are one month in and then say you have ALWAYS paid on time. I doubt payments are the reason he would be using to evict you in that case. You don't really have a payment history with him yet since it is only one month though.
    So it might help if you let us know what are his excuses for saying you have to leave?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2009, 03:13 PM

First, since you have a 2 year lease, your lease period may be considered annual. This means you have to be given 90 days notice of termination. Prior to the end of the annual period. Unless he is evicting for non-compliance with the lease and there are ways around that.

But the reason for termination may be a key issue here.

The bottomline though, is you have a lease (I assume its in writing and singed by both you and the landlord). He cannot cancel that lease without cause.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 03:15 PM

I am thinking that maybe the reason would help like if he is being foreclosed on and maybe not telling them or something??
    neurian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    If he is going to break the lease and make you move he has to follow the legal eviction procedure for your state. I guess he may be in his rights if the attorney is not telling him otherwise, but it is good that you are checking into the legalities of what he is doing.

Is he saying he will give you your deposit back?
    You say you are one month in and then say you have ALWAYS paid on time. I doubt payments are the reason he would be using to evict you in that case. You don't really have a payment history with him yet since it is only one month though.
    So it might help if you let us know what are his excuses for saying you have to leave?
    He is wanting to move back into the house. We have been here for 1 1/2 years prior to the cuurent 24 month lease. The first twelve months were covered by a lease and the past six months were not until June 1, 2009. I really appreciate all the answers I have been given so far. I takes good people to take their time answering someone else problems!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2009, 04:16 PM

I can find nothing that allows a landlord to terminate a lease early because he wants to take possession. Generally that is grounds to not renew a lease, but not early termination.

Howeever you really don't want to live where the landlord doesn't want you there. It can become very uncomfortable. So you tell the landlord that you are willing to move out, but need some time to find a new place. But alkso that you expect to be remunerated for the inconvenience. Generally a settlement equal to 2 months rent is normal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Breaks Lease in Florida, his son won't leave [ 1 Answers ]

My 80 year old condo tenant signed a lease that ends in March 2010. He has been hospitalized and will be going straight to a nursing home. The tenant previously gave me signed notice that he will vacate the premises effective July 1. His 50 year old son had also moved into the condo, and he refuses...

Landlord breaks terms of lease! Terms for early termination or lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Myself and my roommates lease an apartment from our landlord. The building we live in is brand new and we are the first tenets to live in the apartment. There are two apartments in the second story. The landlord also has an office/bar/living area in the front of the building, also on the...

Landlord breaks lease in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My question is: Our landlord asked us on June 1st if we could move out early so that the owner of the home could move back into his home. We agreed verbally to move, on July 1st we moved into a new home in which is $150 more on the mth. Also we were told that they would provide a...

Foreclosure and 5 year lease? Does the tenant leave? [ 1 Answers ]

For California. Does the tenet have the right to stay during the foreclosure process and afterward if they have a long term lease of 5+ years? Does the lease transfer from the property owner to the bank or government?

Signed a new lease now the landlord is asking us to leave for no reason [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a house, Which I just Resigned the lease until may 31 of 2008, The Lanlord told us that everything I did to the house looks good and he was glad for us to be tendants, we are never late on rent and now he sent us a certified letter in the mail saying we have to be out by aug 1 of this...

View more questions Search