Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    user25b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Connecting a new circuit to numerous home with outdated electrical systems.
    Seeking general advice in Michigan.

I am working on a sewer system for over 200 existing homes. Many of these homes are over 50 years old and I am sure there are at least a handful with substandard electrical systems.

Each of these homes will need to connect a 1/2 HP, 120V pump to their electrical system.

At the moment, the homeowners are responsible for supplying this power to the control panel. I have no doubt this is going to cause some headaches and I am looking to minimize them.

Does anyone have any suggestions that can minimize the hassle for the homeowners?

Is it possible to add a circuit outside of the house between the meter and the main circuit panel?

What's the worse case scenario for homeowner that has to add this circuit in an older electric system that hasn't been touched in 50+ years?

Thanks in advance!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 08:09 AM
    The answer to this question:

Quote Originally Posted by user25b View Post
    Is it possible to add a circuit outside of the house between the meter and the main circuit panel?
    Is NO, not this circuit.

There are only a couple of exceptions, such as Fire Alarm, Surge Protectors, that allow for what your asking, this circuit for a sewage pump does not apply.

Each homeowner will only need to provide a receptacle for the pump or contoller.

This sounds like a municipal project mandating that now these homeowners need to use these sweages pumps for some reason.

You should check with the local electrical inspector for guidance, and have the engineer for the sewer project issue specifications to the homeowners.

The inspector can help with one thing comes to mind, new outlets in basements now need to be GFI protected. Asking the inspector about this can help with waiving this code. I would think that a sewage pump should not be GFI protected.

Each homeowner is responsible for the condition of their electrical system.

Adding a 1/2 HP 120 volt motor is not a big deal. Code calls for 9.8 amps.

Each owner needs to be provided with clear specifications of what to have installed, how to protect it, and location of the circuit/outlet.

Any existing substandard conditions will be up to them to repair/upgrade. etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical circuit [ 2 Answers ]

How many 6'cN LIGHTS CAN BE PUT ON A 15 mp circuit

Connecting a ac generator to the home electrical [ 1 Answers ]

Connecting an ac generator to the home electrical

Connecting vista and xp systems [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a dell laptop with vista sp1 and a desktop with xp sp3. The problem is : I can see only my own system in the workgroup which has a common name for both.. After pinging on both sides I can see vista system on xp but not having any permission to access the vista PC. I can't see...

Electrical Systems Check [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a new battery for my Sears GT 5000 riding mower. It was a Walmart type. It has 350 CCA ( which is what I need) but it went down and would not start. I was dragging real bad. I bought a new starter & silenoid. Same problem ! Help I hate to go pay the high bill of the repair shop...

Connecting 3 dimmer switches on one circuit [ 2 Answers ]

In my basement I have three separate single pole light switches that control the recessed lighting. These separate switches were all next to each other and somehow were interlinked with one another. I've moved these switches to one wall and put them in a three gang box, so I can control the...

View more questions Search