Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christian123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Moving a basement shower drain
    Hello,

I am renovating my basement bathroom, and would like to move the shower drain over by about 50". The current drain comes out of the concrete floor. It is a 2-1/4"diameter drain pipe that is surrounded by a 5" diameter pipe with concrete around the outer pipe.

I am planning to install a corner prefab shower at the new location. I would rather not bust up the concrete floor, so I was thinking of raising the new shower on a platform, and running a pipe from the new location to the old drain.

Questions
    1 - Is this possible.
    2 - If yes, then what is the slope required on my 50" extension.
    3 - Assuming the old drain has a p trap underground, do I need to install a second p trap under my new platform.
    4- Can you get into trouble by installing 2 consecutive p traps (I though I saw this on TV once)

Thanks in advance for your time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 07:57 PM
    Hey Chris,

1 - "Is this possible" Yes it is.
    2 - "If yes, then what is the slope required on my 50" extension." 1/4" to the foot
    3 - "Assuming the old drain has a p trap underground, do I need to install a second p trap under my new platform." No, You have a set up for a tub installation. If the pipe in the 5" enclosure is vertical then there is a trap if the pipe's horizontal then you will have to install a trap.
    4- "Can you get into trouble by installing 2 consecutive p traps" Yes, if a inspector sees it. Besides being "overhill" it's against code.

More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom
    christian123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Whoah that was fast, thanks.

2 more questions,

1- Is there an inherent flaw with my plan, it seems much easier than digging up my floor, so I figure there must be a downside, you know, you can take the easy way, but...

2- You mentioned that the clope needs to be 1/4" on the foot, which means that I need about 1" for the entire 50" length. That's not very much, so do I need to bother putting in elbows to tilt it by an inch, or can I just connect it straight to the drain and "flex" the 50" ectention by an inch. I am not sure if I am clear. Basically what I am asking is if I need to creat a slope by using varuious joints, or can I simply pull the extension of the pipe up by an inch. The reason I ask is that I am worried that flexing the extension may put stress on the glued joint (platic piping), and it may fail over time.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
    1- Is there an inherent flaw with my plan, it seems much easier than digging up my floor, so I figure there must be a downside, you know, you can take the easy way, but...
    Yes there is a "downside". You will have two elbos in your offset to the trap. This will provide more opportunities for a clog to occur. Rule of thumb in drainage is to keep the drain lines as clear off turns as possible. Turns and elbos impede the flow and set up a blockage situation.

"Do I need to bother putting in elbows to tilt it by an inch, or can I just connect it straight to the drain and "flex" the 50" ectention by an inch. I am not sure if I am clear. Basically what I am asking is if I need to creat a slope by using varuious joints, or can I simply pull the extension of the pipe up by an inch. The reason I ask is that I am worried that flexing the extension may put stress on the glued joint (platic piping), and it may fail over time?"

I don't care how you accomplish it but the elbo that turns down to connect to the trap wants to be one inch lower then the other elbo. Leaving the 50" run level along with two elbos practically guarantees blockage problems.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Basement Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a shower in my basement over an existing floor drain. What is the preferred method of connecting the shower drain to the floor drain? The drains may or may not line up. I am planning on buying one of those one-piece shower stalls from a big-box store. Also, is there some...

Shower in Basement -drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower enclosure that was taken out of my basement years ago. The problem is that there is no shower drain in the cement floor. The previus shower was drained to a flexible rubber tube that flowed under the shower to the floor drain in the laundry room. I purchased some rubber...

Shower drain in basement [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a one-piece Lasco shower enclosure as part of finishing the basement bathroom. The PVC drain is plumbed in and sticks up about 6" out of the floor. There is also a large diameter black corrugated "hose" around it (I guess for when they poured the concrete floor around it.) I can cut this...

Basement shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a basement shower drain which is cast iron embedded in concrete. Since the top of the drain was cut off at the top of the concrete, I have been chipping away at the concrete around the drain to use an Oakley adapter which fits around the outside of the pipe. The adapter then uses a key to...

View more questions Search