Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phaedrus69 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Tomatoes are cracking
    My tomatoes are starting to crack. If it doesn't rain (I live in the deep south -so it's usually in the high 90's this time of year), I water daily, and fertilize with miracle grow twice a week. I've had a few that are getting blossom end rot, and so I'm researching that on here, but I can have a great tomato and the stupid thing will have a crack in it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2009, 02:38 PM

You cannot use Miracle Grow that often! You only use it once at the start of the growing of the green tomato. You are worse than overdoing it. You will never have any tomatoes to eat at the rate you are going now. Just water and stop fertilizing and Miracle Growing your tomatoes. Maybe you might have some edible ones in a few weeks. FYI That's what is causing the blossom rot as well.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
    I still eat the cracked ones and if half is no good, I eat the other half. :D
    jomercer Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2009, 05:33 AM

Cracks in tomatoes usually indicates too-wet-then-too-dry situations. Watering every day is too much for established plants. Much around them with newspaper or straw or something to keep the soil from drying out between watering once or twice a week.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 06:26 PM

I also have another thought about your tomatoes. The fact you are in the deep south and it gets into the 90's it may be literally too hot for you to properly grow anything. When I lived in South Florida (cant get any more south than that) I would grow in the spring and fall and totally skip the hot summer months altogether.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Upside down Tomatoes [ 424 Answers ]

Curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to try growing an upside down tomato plant, and being frugal, I made a planter out of a five gallon bucket It isn't as fancy, but why spend $20 if you have the parts?. It has been outside for two weeks now, and is getting stronger, but there is one...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search