Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clgault Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Binge Drinking
    About 7 years ago my husband started dealing with stress and/or depression by undergoing binge drinking episodes approx. twice a year. This usually consists of drinking himself to sleep and continuously sleeping for approx. 48-72 hours. He stops whenever he is completely out of alcohol and not a minute before. This current episode however, I really, really snapped and did something I have never done in the 30 years we have been together. I went into the bedroom where he was sleeping and started slapping him. I snapped because, because I hid the 1 1/2 cases of Corona we had left over from my recent 50th birthday celebration (I thought that would be a VERY long "drunkathon"), he decided to open and partly drink the bottle of champagne that my sister sent me from Oregon for m 5th birthday. I can NOT excuse my behavior, I can only say that it was unprecedented in 27 years of marriage. This seemed to make something in him snap as well, as he had an abusive father and made a very conscious decision to never raise a hand to me. Now he won't forgive me and he's being a very, very mean drunk (not his usual M. O.) and breaking things and yelling at me to get out of the house. We are now on the 3rd day of what I usually refer to as a "drunkathon." I should mention that I have a 16 year old son that is witnessing this. What should I do? Should I pack and get out of the house for a while, as he is "requesting"?? I know I need to go to Alanon... it is long overdue. Any advice?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 10:16 PM

You can either get you and your son out of the house or you can try and get him out of the house but you really need to get away from him.
    He needs to wake up from his stupor and realize that his drinking is not worth losing his family over. He needs tough love.
    With him flipping out on you and breaking things over you getting angry and slapping him to me that seems like he is all about him.
    While it isn't right to be slapping anybody the way he is reacting seems to me that he is only thinking of himself and nobody else is suppose to have emotions or else!
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jul 13, 2009, 12:29 AM

Try to find support groups, as in my city there is a selter for women and their children. Elizabeth Fry society, and they can give you aid in this time of need and confution.

AA, is a good one, my sister recently started going to it, and I hope she stays with it this time. She desperately needs it, and since I live with her, I need her to go too, as does her daughter. It seems to have given her some egde on it, knowing she is not alone. Even I can go to it if I wanted to, and when my life settles a little, new job and all, I will.

A counselor may be helpful, as they can refer you to various agencies and groups. They are there to be accessed like a computer, but you must choose how to take the information they give you, don't think they will make your life "better", it's your life so take responsibility for it.

Leaving seems like the safest, and allows him to find himself and realize the drinking will lead to just that, him by himself...

Your 16 year old may need some counseling too. I suggest it either way.

Try reading up on it, like this:

Alcohol Dementia

Alcohol Poisoning

YouTube - Alcohol vs Brain (documentary) - Part 1 Be aware that there are some issues and topics in this and the rest of the parts that follow that others would disagree with, but personally, I think its pretty damn close.

Peace be with you.
    tandemsforus Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Jul 13, 2009, 08:24 PM

First sit down and calm your emotions. This needs to be addressed but. 1 when he's not drunk . Catch him sober and explain what you plan on doing. Let him decide while sober.
    And with out a doubt seek help for your husband, your son, and for you.
    So many times it's the pressure of life or at least the precieved pressure that makes a person go over the top, And your leaving will not help .
    So when he is sober sit down with him and express your feelings, let him make the decision that its you or the drinking, there's not room for both. Just explain if this action takes place, this will be my reaction, but its up to him to want to change, for him to decide, not you.
    Do you drink? This might require removing everything as the problem is worked through.But in the end it will be worth it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:13 PM

Basically having ANY alcohol around a binge alcoholic is a ticking time bomb for sure. If you know he does this when there is alcohol around the house why, why do you even have it around? The bottle of champaigne from your sister is a no, no in big neon letters. Sorry. Also the "left over Corona" is a no, no. Basically you are asking US for an answer to your shortcomings. I'm sorry. I had a late husband who was a constant drunk. When he was on one of his not drinking episodes I did not have anything in the house that could remind him about alcohol. I don't drink. Never did. If you don't drink then you have absolutely NO excuse not to have it in your home. If you do drink, then you must remember your husband has no control over alcohol whatsoever. I have been to AlAnon meetings and everyone there reminded me of myself. Maybe you need to attend a few meetings in order for YOU to see straight as apparently you have no clue as to just how powerful alcohol really is over a human being.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2009, 07:19 PM

I would take his car keys and I would remove the alcohol from the house and hope that he does not do any serious damage to himself or the home in your absence.

If you are not there to fuel his anger ,just by your presence alone,he may just sleep it off.

If he has a friend that could come and babysit his sorry bum while you are gone,that might be a good idea.I know you do not want to see him harm himself.

If you have any recording device or a video on your phone ,you may want to surreptitiously video him,it might be a wake up call when he sobers up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to handle my husband's binge drinking [ 12 Answers ]

My husband of 3 years has periodic episodes of binge drinking - maybe 5-6 times per year. He drinks and drinks and just doesn't stop. It's typically beer or wine. Usually with family or certain friends. This last year he has embarrassed me in front of my band, my friends and just last week, my...

Possible binge eating or overeating [ 7 Answers ]

So I've recently gain 9 lbs in the past 2 months but I've also noticed that I've been hungry a lot more and more often. I've been eating like a horse. Sometimes when I'm just even the slightest bit hungry I eat until I feel more than full, basically I overeat and I've been doing it a lot...

Binge drinker [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a binge drinker and I am very tired of dealing with it we been together for 16 years and I want to leave him?

Binge drinking [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has promised a million times to stop drinking. He has been through therapy over the course of 15 years and knows what he needs to do but he continues to binge drink. He may stay sober for a year or 6 months or maybe two weeks when he gets completely wasted. 4th of July he totalled his...

Possible Solutions Of Binge Drinking [ 4 Answers ]

For Core P.E I Have to present and talk about binge drinking The only thing is I can't think of any ways that you could minimise the harm of binge drinking. You can't just say, take beer out of bars or out of shops there has to be a more detailed and realistic answer Problem is, I can't...

View more questions Search