Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildwill Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Ryobi Blower won't shut off
    As the subjects suggests, my hand-held Ryobi Blower #ry08510 won't shut off when I press the kill switch or open the vacuum door. All connections appear to be in good order. Could I need a new coil unit? Thanks.

Will
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 01:12 AM
    Sounds like the switch itself... or a bad ground (kill wire snagged/broken)

Oct 17, 2006, 07:59 AM
    There are two switches involved. One is for the operator to use when powering down the blower. The other switch is located in the hinge of the vacuum port door and, when opened, will kill the engine if it is running (safety feature). I took the housing off yesterday and gained access to the coil. I tested it with the switch supplied and with different wires. I then removed the switch from the equation and just tried crossing the two wires (and hoping I wouldn't get shocked!) . This didn't work either. I'm just trying to figure this out before I go ordering a new coil for $26 plus $8 shipping. I'd hate to spend the money and not fix the problem. I think it's something internally wrong with the coil itself as all wires and connections apper to be fine.

Is it hard on the engine to flood it in order to shut it off?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Its not hard on the engine to choke it off... but its not good either (extra fuel in the crankcase, etc.) Just pop the plug wire off with a screwdriver...

As for the kill switch, If the kill wire from the coil was grounded to the engine, and didn't shut it off... its either got to be the coil has something wrong... or the wire has a break in it... (easily tested with a ohm tester though)

Oct 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
    Thanks thebriggsdude. I'll check the wires and post a follow-up in the near future.

Oct 17, 2006, 06:20 PM
    It was not the coil. I used a 9-volt battery and a light tester and isolated the problem to one of the wire leads coming off the coil. I replaced the wire and things work like they did before it broke. Thanks.
    rkkim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
    Could you tell me where the wire was? I have the same problem - is the wire on the handle or near the motor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shut down problem [ 9 Answers ]

On windows XP sp1. When I'm turning off, the operating system shuts down but the PC continues working until :confused I press down the turn off button. Anybody can help about this?

Blower will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

The furnace is an electric intertherm.Last night the blower continued to run even though the heating elements had stopped and never did shut off.The only way to get it shut off is to turn off the breaker.The switch is set to auto on the fan.The furnace works fine,the blower for some reason has...

Shut down [ 3 Answers ]

In my windows98 SE system, it is not showing "safe to shut down window" after I install some software or hardware to restart the computer or shut down the computer. It is struck at processing shut down. Please reply.

Shut down [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My computer will not shut down from the start menu. Tom Windows 98 se When I want to shut down I go to start hit The shutdown dot. What I see is screen gets A little checkerboard like and screen changes To the shutdown window saying windows is

View more questions Search