Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ankara55t Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Chemical reaction or no?
    Would gold react with chlorine in considering Au + HCl? And how would I be able to determine this without asking you?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 02:07 PM

Gold won't react with HCl -- at least not if you simply mix the two. Normally, to dissolve gold, you need chloride (to complex with the gold), an oxidizing agent (nitric acid is the most common) to oxidize the gold. A mixture of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid is often called aqua regia (royal water).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia

If you bubbled chlorine gas into a mixture of hydrochloric acid and gold, you might be able to get gold to dissolve. I've never tried that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical reaction [ 2 Answers ]

A B H2O + CO2 -> H2CO3 -> H+ + HCO3- What kind of reaction is A and what does rxn B tell you about what kind of molecule HCO3 - is? I know rxn a is a synthesis rxn... the combination of water and carbon dioxide to form this new compound... at...

Chemical reaction [ 2 Answers ]

What is the product in the following reaction NaCl + H2O?

Chemical reaction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here is my question We have aqous solution of NaOH and Fe(No3)2 are mixed a red ppt form Fe3+ + 3OH- -------- Fe(oH)3 What is mass of ppt when 50ml of .2M Ba(oH)2 mixed with an excess of .125 M Fe(No3) Please reply me asap

View more questions Search