Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fdahl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 08:56 AM
    AC Unit Cooling Fan Not Running
    Hi. My son's HVAC unit is an older Carrier model and needs replaced, but he is trying to limp through this summer until he can afford to buy a new one.

The problem is the cooling fan will not run in the outside unit. I took a look at it and the contactor is pulling in and the compressor is running. I messed around with a "thermodisc" unit and the fan started running. It ran for several hours but then stopped again.

The thermodisc is a 3-wire unit mounted to the HVAC unit housing. It is unclear to me the purpose of this unit. It is exposed to temperatures near the starting capacitor for the unit, but that is about it. It is not even inside the condenser coil. Can someone please tell me its purpose and how I can check the device with a multimeter? I hate to just replace it not knowing how it is supposed to function. Unfortunately we do not have a schematic for the unit.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 12, 2009, 10:30 AM

That could be the defrost control if it is a heat pump.
    Check the capacitor... that is probably your problem. Also the fan could just be tripping out on thermal overload protection.

Jul 12, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Thanks Siberianair for the quick response.

Well I dug into the unit a bit more and figured out that the thermodisc unit controls the high and low speed of the fan. After pulling the temperature switch out and replacing it, the unit started working. When the switch heats up, the fan goes to high-speed and when it cools down switches to low speed. I tested this with ice cubes and a hair-dryer :). I did clean the "fast-on" spade connectors and now am wondering if it just was getting a bad connection. It has been running for about 4 hours.

Not sure why that switch is even in the circuit. It is in the electrical compartment of the unit; not in the compressor or the condenser area. The only thing in that area is the startup cap and the contactor.

Well I dug into the unit a bit more and figured out that the thermodisc unit controls the high and low speed of the fan. After pulling the temperature switch out and replacing it, the unit started working. When the switch heats up, the fan goes to high-speed and when it cools down switches to low speed. I tested this with ice cubes and a hair-dryer :). I did clean the "fast-on" spade connectors and now am wondering if it just was getting a bad connection. It has been running for about 4 hours.

Not sure why that switch is even in the circuit. It is in the electrical compartment of the unit; not in the compressor or the condenser area. The only thing in that area is the startup cap and the contactor.

Jul 12, 2009, 02:10 PM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit running but not cooling house [ 9 Answers ]

We moved into our house last summer and it had be renovated with a new Goodman CKL24-1L system, (~3 months old at the time of move in). Our home is small, maybe about 1000 sq ft. However, we had some trouble with it last summer, it would often have trouble keeping the temperature low. We would...

A/C running but not cooling [ 5 Answers ]

My A/C fan is blowing but not cool air come out, I can feel the air blow out as normal. Here is what I have checked - 1)outside unit has power, the fan is running, the air blow out is NOT warm, the two pipe out of the unit going to the room is regular tempture. 2)inside unit has power, the...

A/c unit running inside and outside but not cooling upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My a/c unit outside of home is running (compressor?) and it is blowing inside and running too. In the morning after all night the temp is at 72 which is where it is set, but the rest of the day it is set on 72 and is 80 in the home. Both inside and outside are running all day. Why would this be...

Changed from separate cooling & heating unit to combined unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home & when it was set up in 96 we had separate cooling & heating units run off one thermostat. We had a 3 ton ac unit & an electric furnace inside for heat. This past summer we bought a 4.5 ton ac & heating combined unit. We hooked up to wiring that old ac unit was hooked up to...

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

View more questions Search