Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drewferu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 02:47 PM
    Peeling paint blues
    The paint in the stairwell of my home is peeling .I believe that the problem was latex over oil. In some places large flakes about 3 inches in diameter are peeling off you can scratch it off with a thumbnail .Do I have to scrape the whole wall clean or can I scrape only the peeling areas and sand the rest?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:33 PM

Sounds like Latex over oil.

First clean the surface with a mix of TSP (Tr-sodium phosphate).

Scraping drywall will be a real pain, but you do need to scrape anything that will come off. Lightly sanding with a course paper should expose the areas.

You can fix using redi-patch, available at Home Depot.

Vacuum the wall and then use TSP and water again. Dry with a cloth.

Imperfections will be hard to see. Use a flashlight on the edge in a dark room
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 08:18 PM

drewferu, you have 2 ;osts back to back, is this the same surface in both posts. Wall or stair threads?
    drewferu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 07:19 AM

It is the walls I'm putting tile on the stairs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior peeling paint [ 8 Answers ]

Wallpaper was removed from our living room by a "professional" and the walls painted. The paint peeled in large pieces in several areas within a couple years. We had another painter scrape and repaint. This second guy thought the wallpaper paste had not been properly removed. A few years later it...

Paint peeling on cedar [ 2 Answers ]

Painted the house 2 years ago it's peeling like crazy? Why?

Peeling paint [ 1 Answers ]

Help... after painting, pulling painters tape off, some paint pulled off with it, how to fix?

Cracking and peeling paint... Help! [ 2 Answers ]

We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if...

View more questions Search