Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyhaus1057 Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Rom and Usb
    Hi,
    The ones in caps are the ones that I think are the answers. I have searched all around and still haven't found a few of these. Can you please help?

1)Interrupts originate with either SEND or RECEIVE

2) On most computers, the boot routine is stored IN ROM

3) USB 2.0 takes advantage of the extreme speed disparity between a computer and its peripheral devices

4) The virtual machine concept calls for multiprogramming or time sharing at the ? Level

5) Most time-sharing systems use ROLL IN / ROLL OUT techniques to manage memory space

6) ___ Is concerned with managing the system's resources, allocating space to applications as needed, and ensuring that those applications do not interfere with each other

7) The __ incorporates routines that allow the user or programmer to create, delete, modify, and manipulate files by name

8) The ___ provides a mechanism for the user to communicate with the operating system and request operating system services
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 08:28 PM
    I don't think that's correct. I think it's HARDWARE or SOFTWARE, but I'm not sure.

This is correct.

3) USB 2.0 takes advantage of the extreme speed disparity between a computer and its peripheral devices
    I don't think this is correct, either.

4) The virtual machine concept calls for multiprogramming or time sharing at the ? Level
    Not sure what terminology is wanted. "software level" or "machine level" or some such.

5) Most time-sharing systems use ROLL IN / ROLL OUT techniques to manage memory space
    I guess this could be correct.

6) ___ Is concerned with managing the system's resources, allocating space to applications as needed, and ensuring that those applications do not interfere with each other
    SYSTEM RESOURCE MANAGER or SYSTEM MEMORY MANAGER possibly?

7) The __ incorporates routines that allow the user or programmer to create, delete, modify, and manipulate files by name
    FILE SYSTEM.

8) The ___ provides a mechanism for the user to communicate with the operating system and request operating system services
    Probably the SCM System Control Manager.

Again, this should probably be put under PROGRAMMING.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 09:42 PM

These answers are so subjective and it depends on what you know.

1. Both send and receive
    2. ROM is a good answer, but in today's climate it's not true. Open firmware is stored in an electrically eraseable ROM, so it's correct. The boot code is upgradeable. BIOS is a Windows term.
    3. False
    4. Machine architecture level (I know to much). I'll accept machine level.
    5. Beats me. Swapping, virtual memory, paging
    6.Operating system or Kernal
    7. I'll buy file system
    8. Resource manager

I wrote an OS with a partner as part of a class project. What fun.

Don't normally do homework, but these questions are too weird. Put them in context of "What your supposed to know". Discard answers that don't fit.
    money30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhaus1057 View Post
    Hi,
    The ones in caps are the ones that I think are the answers. I have searched all around and still haven't found a few of these. Can you please help?

4) The virtual machine concept calls for multiprogramming or time sharing at the ? level

I know that #8 is: user interface
    money30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I don't think that's correct. I think it's HARDWARE or SOFTWARE, but I'm not sure.

This is correct.

I don't think this is correct, either.

4) The virtual machine concept calls for multiprogramming or time sharing at the ? level
    Not sure what terminology is wanted. "software level" or "machine level" or some such.

I guess this could be correct.

SYSTEM RESOURCE MANAGER or SYSTEM MEMORY MANAGER possibly?

FILE SYSTEM.

Probably the SCM System Control Manager.

Again, this should probably be put under PROGRAMMING.
    Number 7 answer is: file system

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search