Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 15, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Wanting to fix "masking tape" over drywall joints
    Hello:

I have a finished attic, however who ever finished it drywalled the room, and then rather than use paper or mesh tape and mud over it, they appeared to just used wide maskting tape over the joints and paint over it with no mud at all.

Im wondering if it were to be wise to remove all of this tape, or can I just apply joint compound over the joints? Its not cracking or anything, just looks unsightly, and Im hoping to fix that. If I could just leave the exsisting tape on, its sure to knock a day off this job.

Thank you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Masking tape is not meant to be permanent. Different brands may vary. Some of it eventually falls off. Some of it petrifies becoming unremovable, or perhaps that is just a stage it goes through before falling off. You might try picking at it, and if it comes off, remove it. If you get nowhere, mud over it and hope for the best. Even if it loses adhesion, the mud may hold it on the same as paper style tape.

Oct 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Thanks labman:

It has split in a few places, and has gotten brittle in others. I will see if I can remove it easily. Im not really crazy about drywall finishing, and I sure don't want to do it twice.
    Ive actually considered just paneling over it, but I really wanted a smooth painted wall look up here.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
    When it comes to drywall mud, I am a bungler. I end up spending days sanding and reapplying before I finally have a nice job. When I was coordinating a Habitat for Humanity house, I got a call from a hard hat sentenced to community service. First question I asked was did he do drywall mud.

Oct 18, 2006, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    When it comes to drywall mud, I am a bungler. I end up spending days sanding and reapplying before I finally have a nice job. When I was coordinating a Habitat for Humanity house, I got a call from a hard hat sentenced to community service. First question I asked was did he do drywall mud.
    I feel your pain. Some people just have a knack for it. They say "its all in the wrist". I still takes me several coats to get it looking halfway decent. Small jobs don't bother me two much, but Im preparing to re-mud this whole room, my mind keeps wanting to put it off. But my eyes are so sore from this tape and ugly 60's style green paint painted over it.

What a delima.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Looking/wanting information about "Clucosamine" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! My boyfriend started taking Clucosamine for pain in his joints, mainly his elbo. What information can you give me about this (Clucosamine)? What are the pro's & con's? Thank you in advance for any help you may have. :)

Difference between "htm" and "html" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any? For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers...

View more questions Search