Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    banksnet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Need to run a wire from 50 amp circuit breaker to outside outlets
    My band is performing outside. We have several pieces of equipment that need power. However, we are about 120 feet from the power source where there is a breaker box and 1 outlet. I've been told that this is a 50 amp circuit.

I need several outlets to plug in all our gear. I need to know the best way to get power from the outlet or breaker box to our gear.

I don't know if I can plug everything into one power strip and simply run an extension cord or if I need to splice directly into the box and wire some outlets. Running everything through one extension cord doesn't seem like it would work, but I'm not an electrician.

Any help with this would be so, so appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 3, 2009, 08:48 PM
    My suggestion would be to have an electrician make you a temp panel with breakers and receptacles.

What you suggest is not safe and no where near legal.
    banksnet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 10:00 PM

Perfect answer, except the Original Poster needs to now what he needs in terms of power.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 05:37 AM

If this is a one time gig, I would suggest you seek out and hire a stage/studio production company.

They will have all the portable cords, cam locks, patch cords, and distro panel already built and ready for show.

Unless your ready to invest in the cords and equipment for future use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Correct wire for new Circuit Breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm buying a commercial printer that has a 16 amp load, so I'll be installing a 20 amp circuit breaker. How do I know if I will need to upgrade the wiring for this change? My house was built in 1950, so the wire shouldn't the wire all be heavy enough? Or not? I'd like to think I only need to...

Can I mix outlets and lighting on one 20 amp circuit all with 12 g wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an open unfinished basement with a 20 amp circuit which supplies only a junktion box. It used to have a pull light on it. I have continued the 12 gage wire, which entered the junction box originating in the panel, from the junction box to two new floresent lights and ran further 12 gage...

Wire from circuit breaker has current but will not turn on lights [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again... hoping to make this sound easy! I recently renovated my upstairs and left a bunch of wires coming out of the main box unhooked and ready to use, I mapped out each circuit and made sure I was running appropriate power to each and for my final hook up I had found a "random wire" that is...

Outlets to breaker/wire ratio [ 2 Answers ]

How many 60 Watt light outlets can I run off one 15 Amp breaker, using 14/2 wire?

View more questions Search