Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forpulse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Green card holder with canadian citizenship
    I am 20 year old university student here in canada currently. Last year in may me and my family, we got our green card. My family moved in September but I wasn't able to move with them due to school problem. I wasn't able to transfer to a university there as its very difficult. So I have been continuing here since then.. I have been to states 3 times after that and each time I go I am told I have to move in with in a year of the issue date of the visa. Which was in may. Last time I went was in march this year. Now I'm worried next time I go (in august).. I'm going to have problems... every time I went... I told them the truth.. that I wasn't able to move due to my school... and I'm trying my best to transfer. I have even gave up my canadian driving license to get NY state driving license. But I'm just worried that they will take my green card away the next time I go.. I don't want to move to states right now because I'll be sitting at home doing nothing. I'll have to drop out of school here, which I can't afford to do.. altho its not like I don't want to move to states.. I would move right away if I get enrolled in a university there... so can any one offer me any advise on how I should deal with this problem. What I should tell the border immigration officers? I show my green card to go into states and that's when they question me on my return I show my canadian passport and citizenship card and they never bother me at all... also I make a trip to states usually twice every 6 months... and I'm there for about a week.. so please someone advise me
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jul 2, 2009, 11:58 AM

You're doing the right thing by telling them the truth. You want to finish school. This is perfectly acceptable. You should try to strengthen your ties to the US, open a bank account, get a credit card, file your taxes in the US, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian citizen with Us green card [ 7 Answers ]

I have my US Green Card which stipulates I must live in the Us. Recently I had to move back to Canada due to family emergency. Issue: I recently crossed the border ( not showing my green card) and I got questioned. Eventually I told them I have a green card, they made me show it, they...

Us green card- canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have my US Green Card which stipulates I must live in the Us. Recently I had to move back to Canada due to family emergency. (so I'm living in canada temporarily) Issue: I recently crossed the border ( not showing my green card) from canada going into the US and I got questioned....

Green card holder [ 2 Answers ]

Can a green card holder travel to Europe for vacation & if so, what are the requirements?:confused:

Canadian Birth/Green Card Holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, my first question I asked got answered regarding if I could travel with a Green Card and you answered 'YES'. I am a Canadian by birth however, I am a Green Card holder of one year. I want to travel back to Canada but I lost my birth certificate and expired Canadian passport. Will I...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search