Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shrapnel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 04:21 AM
    The interest expense will be debited for. 25. How did they get this answer?
    It says the answer to the following question is "25", but I don't know how to get it. The answer I keep getting is "50", and its not even listed as a possible answer.

A company signed a 6-month note payable on 8/1/08 for $5,000 with 6% interest. The financial year ends on 12/31/08. On the day of the payment, 2/1/09, the interest expense will be debited for...

A. 300
    B. 150
    C. 25
    D. 125

The answer key says its C, but as I said, I don't know how they got that answer.

Can anybody help?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 03:59 PM

The interest expense for the payment on 2/1/09 will be for one month (January).

The formula to compute this expense is:
    $5,000 (principial) * 6% (rate) * 1/12 ( one month of time/ 12 months) = $25

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interest expense [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 8% bond payable valued at $800,000 how do I calculate the interest expense

Interest Expense [ 1 Answers ]

I have a homework question. It has been a while since I have taken Accounting and don't really remember some of the formulas. The question is asking me how to calculate a company's interest expense. It is giving me the net income as well as the operating income and the tax rate. Can someone help me...

View more questions Search