Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FortKnox Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Is This A Talent Agent Scam?
    Hello. I'm new to the voice over world and I sent in some demo reels and I got this email back from one of them. I'm 99% sure it's a scam but, I would like to know what others think. I mean hell he doesn't even want to me. :rolleyes:

Mr. Knox,

I received your package today and reviewed the contents and I think I may be able get you some work within the right production circles in town. We will need to create a more professional “package” which will include your work on CD with artwork along with your resume of work. I will not endorse talent without a glossy, professional package plus it wouldn’t hurt for you to have one for your business uses. Here is an itemized list of things we will need to proceed:

· VO sampling in CD format

· $150.00 for design and artwork

· $200.00 for mastering and digitizing of your CD

You can make your check or money order payable to:

Outlaw Entertainment LLC

1160 Gallatin Pike S.

Madison, TN 37115

If and once we get your package ready we will discuss our contract terms for representation.

Thanks,

Mike Schelling

Outlaw
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:39 AM

I could not find an official site on the search engine for them.
    How did you find out about them?
    Do they guarantee you will like their artwork?

I did find a myspace page that could be theirs as well as a couple other references for the address.
    The prices seem real reasonable but they could be a scam. You could check with the Better Business Bureau in Tenn.
    jddaman23 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2009, 09:40 AM

Anything asking for money before they even give you an audition is a scam
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:44 AM
    What's the email address it came from?

Jun 30, 2009, 09:45 AM

Here is there website.
    Outlaw World
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Yea, but what is the originating email address, is it something like [email protected] or [email protected]?

Jun 30, 2009, 09:53 AM

[email protected]
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Scam - here's the real site and domain: Outlaw Entertainment
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:27 PM

The one that the OP gave is for music and has the Tenn. Address she gave.

The one NK gave is a comic book company and has a Tx address.

Could they both be official sites but two different companies?

It is possible that one is using the name without going through the proper fictitious name search procedure to make sure the name isn't taken.
    *OR they could be run by the same people but two separate departments.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:47 PM

Hello Fort:

Way back when, I was an actor. I met an agent who told me that I needed a portfolio and an acting class BEFORE she would represent me. Yes, she taught the class and her son was a photographer.

I guess I could have thought that was a scam. After all, I'll bet there are lots of people who never got work even though they were sent on auditions. I'll bet THEY think it was a scam... But, I found work. I made money. I was in several movies, and I had a great time.

Yeah, you have to spend a little money in order to make yourself marketable. I don't think what this guy wants from you is out of line. He MAY be a scam, but if he was going to rip you off, he could have asked for a lot more.

excon

PS> Ok, I was in Harry & The Hendersons, Black Widow, Dangerous Affection, and others. No, I didn't have speaking roles. But, they paid me $100 bucks a day, gave me a free lunch, and exposed me to 100's of beautiful chicks.

Jul 2, 2009, 03:24 PM

Well I emailed the guy last night about how I would first have to meet him and listening to the CD, see the artwork, etc. And I haven't heard anything back. Oh well.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 03:27 PM
    Well done. That's a good measure to protect yourself.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jul 2, 2009, 03:30 PM

Do this-ask them for references. Any reputable company who claims to get people work should certainly be able to give references, in fact they should be more than happy to show you that they have a lot of success in getting people jobs.

If they make excuses and don't give you a single reference, take it as a sign, they're not going to get you work either. If they do give you references, contact the people and have a few questions prepared like "what specific jobs have you done through this agency", "how many jobs have you gotten", "how many interviews/auditions have you gotten", etc. You might be able to cross-check any info the reference gives you... if they say they were the voice on a commercial, it's possible to confirm this somehow I'd imagine (in case the guy just gives you his sister's phone # pretending it's a client).

Another thing you could do is say "I already have my samples on CD" OR "I already have a contract with a company to make my CD, can we talk about representation only?" If the guy ceases communication when you express disinterest in buying the CD package, then that's a huge clue that it is merely a scam.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 03:50 PM

***I see you did mention make sure it isn't their sister.

Jul 7, 2009, 10:28 AM
    Well he didn't reply. And that's all folks. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming a talent agent. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in high school and am interested in becoming a talent agent. I was wondering what majors I should look into for this career and what can I do now to get a head start or help me get a better picture of the career? Thanks, Phi

Talent Agent [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know what type of license I would need to open a talent agency in the state of Texas as well as any type of insurance I would need?:) If you also have an idea of what it might cost to start this type of business that information would be appreciated. Thank you.

How Do I become a talent agent in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to start a side career as a talent agent. Not sure if I need to become licensed. I have a 4 year college degreee and also have done professional stand up in NYC. Any guidance would be helpful.

Talent Agent [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to becoming an entertainment/talent agent?

View more questions Search