Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thumber56 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Gazebo Pillar wobbles.
    I'm building a 12 foot Octagon Gazebo on top of a existing deck. I'm using 4x4 by 8 long PT timbers, attached to floor with molded plastic supports. Roof is up and Hand rail all around on 6 sides with 2 sides too remain open. Unfortanely the Top structure is very wobbly. Any suggestions for better bracing?

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 06:10 PM

Can you attach picture of the structure showing how the upper scetion was constructed?

Jun 30, 2009, 05:49 AM

Picasa Web Albums - RICK - Drop Box
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 08:53 AM

Sorry Rick but I am going to have to let someone else step in here. I am in a very remote location with a marginal computer and just can't open many files.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 30, 2009, 01:30 PM

The problem with your design, while it looks nice, is that all the pieces are either vertical or horizontal. Think of 4 pieces of wood nailed together in a square like a window frame. This shape is unstable: if you push the top sideways, it is very easy to push it out of square.

You can add structural ridigity in two ways:

1) use stronger metal brackets to attach the posts to the deck, or to attach the roof frame to the posts. Its probably too late to change the ties since your gazebo is already up.

2) add wood bracing in the form of 'triangles' to get away from your square design. You can make braces in your gazebo that are also decorative in a number of locations:

a) between 4x4 post and the roof, on each side of the post.
    b) from one post across under the roof to the post on the opposite side
    c) You could replace the replace the fencing you've put up with pieces running in a big 'X', but that would not give you the 4" spacing you need for code on a raised deck railing.

Jul 2, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Thanks,

That makes a lot odf sense. Well do some modifications

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Headboard wobbles [ 12 Answers ]

I have a queen sized headboard and standard frame. They connect via hook-on plate. The problem is that my headboard appears to be floating just above the floor and this causes it to wobble and hit the wall whenever I move. Is there a bracket or something I can do to make this connection sturdy...

Design for a pipe pillar [ 1 Answers ]

I have to design a pipe pillar which has to bear the load on top for 1000 kg at a height of 7 meters. The wind speed is expected to be 100-150 km/hour. The load on top has a width of three meters and a height of 3 meters. Provide me with the minimum diameter and thickness of the pipe required to...

Kenmore washer wobbles during spin cycle [ 4 Answers ]

I acquired a used Kenmore 110-91552210. Don't know how old it is. During the spin cycle it vibrates and sounds off balance, does not walk. Doesn't seem to be effected by the size of the load. Can anyone help?

Adding a foundation pillar [ 1 Answers ]

I have discovered that I have inadequate support for a stairwell in my home. The support posts rests between floor joists, with no foundation pillar underneath. What is the best way to install a foundation pillar in an existing crawlspace?

Daschund wobbles back and forth [ 2 Answers ]

My mini daschund randomly starting wobbling back and forth. She really looked like a bobble head doll, but it was her whole body. I don't know what happened to her or if this could be the result of a seziure... anyone know what I should do?

View more questions Search