Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Janeyoxox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Is schwarzkopf xxl absoloute platinum blonde dye any good for lightening dark hair
    I recently decided to dye my hair blonde, and was wondering if anyone knew of the xxl blonde schwarzkopf works when you already have your hair dyed a dark brown/red. I don't want it bleach blonde so I figured the dye might be good for lifting the colour to a light/medium blonde. Heeelp! Xoxox
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 01:34 PM

Schwarzkopf XXL is a single-process haircoloring. ALL single-process haircolorings use hydrogen peroxide as the lightening agent. Some of them use stronger peroxide than others but generally, they all use the same thing. None of these products work well on dark hair -- they'll turn out too brassy and none of them works well on hair that's been colored a darker shade. The shade on the swatch is the color you would get if you started with virgin dark or medium blonde hair. Dark hair is best pre-lightened (that means bleach) and then toned.

In your case, you have already dyed hair. Haircoloring won't lighten hair that's already been colored. The artificial pigment in the hair does not act like natural pigment and hydrogen peroxide (that originally developed the color) won't lighten the color. You need to use color remover (ColorFix, Color Oops, Igora Phantom, Color Zap) to first remove the artificial color. Then you can lighten it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you blend dark blonde roots with bleached blonde hair? [ 4 Answers ]

My hair is naturally medium/dark blonde. I've recently gone gwen-stefani platinum blonde and had toner put in to bring the color down to a more natural color. My roots have grown out for about 5 months now and so are really really noticeable. I Don't want to touch up my roots to match the bottom...

I want dark blonde hair [ 4 Answers ]

I have medium brown hair with about 30% gray... would I have to bleach to go to a soft dark blonde color?

Lightening Blonde hair [ 3 Answers ]

After I had my hair stripped back to blonde it turned out like orange on the bottom ,yellowish blonde on the top and then my roots came in very dark because its not my natural color of blonde. I want to lighten my hair so its like a really white blonde not a yellow blonde. I have sun-in but I don't...

Dark blonde hair w/ blonde highlights. Need out [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... so I have dark blonde to light brown hair... I decided to put blonde highlights in... but yeah... they's a little too light of blonde. Is there a VERY quick way that I can tone down the blonde to blend a little better w/ my hair color? 1. my dad doesn't know yet.. and yea... he not going...

Lightening dark hair [ 3 Answers ]

How can I lighten black hair?

View more questions Search