Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulmn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 06:24 AM
    GFCI trips intermitantly
    The GFCI trips intermitantly on my spa. The Blower was unplugged and the GFCI worked. Another Blower was installed and the GFCI trips again. I say the GFCI works and there is still something wrong in the spa. The Dealer says my GFCI is old and needs better noise suppression. They want to replace it with a different brand, at my cost of course.

GFCI 220volt 50Amp Square D.

Thanks,
    Paul
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:14 AM

Not sure what you need. If they change the GFI at your cost, insist on a warranty, that if the problem remains, they bought the GFI.

What does noise supression have to do with it? Any noise will be coming from their unit.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:31 AM

Any accessory can leak to ground, tripping GFI, If it doesn't trip with the blower removed, the blower likely is leaking to ground.

Jun 29, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Not sure what you need. If they change the GFI at your cost, insist on a warranty, that if the problem remains, they bought the GFI.

What does noise supression have to do with it? Any noise will be coming from their unit.

Thanks for your response! How can my GFI be bad when it protects the tub and all of its components except the blower?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
    I need to refer you to Strats answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Any accessory can leak to ground, tripping GFI, If it doesn't trip with the blower removed, the blower likely is leaking to ground.
    He said what I should have added.

The point is, based on basic troubleshooting by doing what he suggests shows that the GFI is doing it's job, there must be a ground fault in the motor or the wiring that runs from the breaker to the motor.

All too often when a breaker trips the breaker gets the blame.

I do suggest this too often, hardly ever, but you can purchase a new breaker and try it, and if the ew trips return it, and get the tub vendor to fix their problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 06:06 PM

Here is some advice you did not ask for. If your dealer actually said "The Dealer says my GFCI is old and needs better noise suppression. " he is blowing smoke up your skirt and you need a new dealer. TK and Strat can give you great electrical advice and I can smell a skunk.

Jun 30, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Here is some advice you did not ask for. If your dealer actually said "The Dealer says my GFCI is old and needs better noise suppression. " he is blowing smoke up your skirt and you need a new dealer. TK and Strat can give you great electrical advice and I can smell a skunk.
    That's good advice, and I agree. If the spa runs 2 3hp pumps, lights, control panel, 5000 watt heater, ozone generator, and only trips when a blower is added to this system, I would say the blower or something related to the blower (plumbing, etc) is bad. The GFI is good. Just needed a little extra confirmation.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 11:01 AM

The GFI IS Good, Blower has a problem.
    With blower disconnected, measure resistance between both blower supply wires and ground.
    Likkey you will have resistance.
    ALZ1 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jul 1, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Another thought...

Sometime depending on how the blowers are plumbed into the system, water can sometimes run back into the blower line, run down into your blower motor. "trip" don't take much.

There is usually a high spot in the plumbing to the blower that should be higher than the water level when full and expected number of persons are in the tub. Maybe the support to hold that in place has dropped lower than it is suppose to be. Some have check valves in that line. (could be bad)

See if they can drill a small drip hole or two on the bottom of the pipe where it enters the blower. Or the blower housing itself, pending on how it sits in the equipment area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub gfci trips [ 19 Answers ]

I'm about to pull my hair out... Gfci on hot tub trips as soon as breaker in main panel is turned on... replaced breaker with new 50 amp gfi... replaced wires from gfi box to tub... unhooked all plugs on control box... it even trips if you unhook the main hot wires to the tub... with only the...

3-way switch trips GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

All, I installed a GFCI in a bathroom that has 2 outlets, 2 vanity light bars controlled by a pair of 3-way switches, and a shower room with a Nutone fan/heater/light combo. I installed a GFCI in one outlet and when I turn on the lights, the GFCI trips. Both outlets have two cables in them and...

GFCI breaker trips on outdoor BBQ [ 3 Answers ]

I built a big brick BBQ 2 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. The BBQ has a dedicated circuit from the garage panel. There is a switch on top (of the counter) that controls an outlet behind the fridge for the rotisserie, and there is one outlet that has power for the fridge. I was required by...

Submersible pump trips gfci [ 9 Answers ]

My pond pump has been operating for over a year. Recently it tripped the gfci. I pulled it and took it apart but didn't see anything obvious. I pulled the ground wire and tried the pump and it worked. Anyone have any ideas?

GFCI trips when a separate circuit is activated [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate help on an odd problem. I'm pretty good with electricity but stumped on this. I installed a GFCI in the middle of a 120V outlet circuit. It works correctly, protecting itself and all the downstream load outlets. But, on a completely separate circuit (separate breaker), I also...

View more questions Search