Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Oct 13, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Gallstones
    So I've been having these pains on the right side of my abdomen for about a month and a half now. I thought I was getting more ovarian cysts since I am prone to them. After lots of blood tests, pelvic exams and a few ultrasounds, they told me yesterday that I have gallstones. I'm being referred to a surgeon who can't see me for a couple of weeks.

Question is, I recently, within the last couple of weeks have been feeling pressure in my chest along with some nausea. I feel weak (which is probably because I'm anemic) and my heart starts to palpitate in a strange pattern. They did an EKG and said my rhythm was normal. I'm going to see a Cardiologist next week. Is the pressure in my chest related to the gallstones? It's all so strange to me, I'm usually a very healthy person.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2006, 06:44 PM
    This is all actually quite normal with gallstones. I am not sure if your doc said, but you need to maintain a very bland diet.

It may be in your best interest to call the surgeon and ask them if there are any cancellations to please call you.

Yes, the pressure in your chest can most likely be related to gallstones. Many people who do not know they have gallstones relate this to a tightening in the chest similar to a heart attack.

So, just know that this is not necessarily abnormal.

Oct 16, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Thanks so much Janine. I've had a loss of appetite due to the nausea and the fact that almost everything I eat gives me a pain. I'm pretty much living on chicken broth and whole wheat toast with the occasional oatmeal...

I can't be referred to the surgeon yet because of some changes in my HMO, but will be on November 1st, hopefully it won't take too long.

Do they just remove the stones or the whole gall bladder??
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Most of the time they remove the whole gallbladder, I can't remember if I have ever heard of them removing just the stones. It is a liproscopic (sp this early?) surgery which involved 3 little punctures. That is all it is an outpatient surgery.

My Mom had it as 60 and walked out of the hospital and the next day she was out shopping. So it is no big deal these days.

Oct 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
    I feel better already. It helps to be informed. Thanks Janine.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Hey, I'll come hold your hand if you want;). Lots of Texas Pete when you wake up!! :eek:

No bed baths though, if you don't mind!!

Keep your chin up, it's a cake walk girl! :D

Oct 17, 2006, 11:50 AM
    I think little Mr. Pete is what got me in this mess to begin with since I put him on EVERYTHING I eat, well almost. But I still love the guy...
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Um, do you consume a lot of calcuim products/vitamins along with caffiene?

This can cause gall or kidney stones.

But gallstoens are a walk in the park compared to kidney stones.

Oct 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
    I take a calcium supplement because I don't eat the right amount of calcium rich foods and I have been hitting the coffee lately pretty strongly. I have a cuban client who makes me espresso every time I visit their home or will bring me espresso from their cuban bakery. They're cuban, you can't tell them no.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Okay, well that is well within limits to be normal. Many people with problems eat a lot of ice cream or vitamins and drink A LOT of caffine, like iced tea and the like.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
    I recently had gallstones and had severe jaundice, not nice at all.
    In the UK at least before considering surgury they try an ERCP instead.
    Basically it involves having a tube with a small camera down your throat and then opening up the entrance to the gall bladder.
    This is slightly uncomfortable, but it worked for me and is generally done as a walk in procedure.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 12:39 PM
    Yeah, jaundice sucks, unless you like to be out in the sunshine (a cure for jaundice).

ERCP? Can you enlighten me? Endoscopic.. . Procedure?
    BossMan

Oct 17, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Pssstttt J I linked it to help out ;)
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Oh, Ben that is too cool. Thanks for the info.

At least I got endoscopic right! :D

OOHH, look at all the body parts. So cool!!

Oct 17, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Ben, did they put you under any kind of anesthesia? I get this gagging relfex pretty easily. I had braces when I was pregnant with my 2nd child and the orthodontist actually had to remove them a little early because check ups, even flossing back there in between the wires made me gag pretty bad.
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Momi,

If they do this to you, they can spray the back of your mouth with a numbing medication to make it go down easy.

Remember, no worries, knowledge is power!!
    BossMan

Oct 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Mom they gave me some serious sedatives, not fully out but enough so I didn't really notice what they where doing
    Felt like a really gooooood Saturday night ;)

Oct 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Thanks Ben, now I'm looking forward to it! Really! I could use a good night out!
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Either way you go, you will get a good nap, that is FOR SURE!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search