Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajax0025 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
    2000 honda civic
    How do I remove the dash on a 2000 Honda Civic?
    bobby_glukhov Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 11:39 PM
    I would also recommend reading the section on dash removal and the SRS system before undertaking this project. Learn it, memorize it, put it into action.

First thing I did was remove all the necessary interior pieces.

Rear console
    Front console
    Instrument Panel
    Lower Cover (underneath steering wheel)
    glove box
    dash lower cover (with accessory socket)
    remove both, driver's side & passenger side vents as well as defogger trims
    Side covers
    Passenger side lower cover

all are relatively simple to remove. Phillips head screwdriver and light tugs and pulls at the clip areas. Glove box requires a socket wrench, but it's still easy.

I moved all the interior pieces to the trunk to keep them out of my way, and of course, off the ground. Do you really need a pic of this? Sorry 56k

Any excuse to show my si cluster

after you remove the center dash lower cover, try to remove as many screws from the radio area, and climate control area as possible. I'm trying to remember how I did it a while ago. Didn't have to do it this time, since I never put the screws back in the first time. I constantly swap out my cd player.

pulled out my cd player, disconnected the wires and aux.
    yank and tugged at the climate control and disconnect wires.
    ended up with this, yes this is a lot of wires

*****help******
    I had to go pick up my friend after this step. No signals, or interior lights. Here's why... turn signals DO NOT work with the hazard lights plugged in, simply remove the two screws holding in place and plug back in the light switch instead of the entire climate control.
    no turn signals in rush hour ATL traffic = I blended right in

no interior lights? Same deal, remove the brightness controller on the driver's side vent, little piece with the light bulb on it and plug it in. or just leave it in. it only takes a second to remove it.

back to the dash...

I came into a problem with getting the center bolt out of the dash. It's right in the center of the dash, in the back of course, right near the windshield. Remove the lid with a screwdriver and do this.

1/2" breaker bar

3/8" converter & a 12mm deep socket, just to make it even longer

In action with extra long breaker bar

This was all I could think of. The window is so close, I doubt anyone can get a ratchet in there. In EGs, I think you could reach it through the climate control, but I can't really remember. Anyway, this worked well, and like I said, I couldn't get any of my ratchets or wrenches to fit with that damn window being so close.

*********************Pay close attention to this**********************

In the middle of trying to take that bolt off, becoming frustarated and realizing that the bolt would take a while to come off, I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery. In order to disconnect the SRS system, you need to have the power disconnected for at least three minutes.

There's an access panel underneath the steering wheel. Use a screwdriver to pry it off and disconnect these.

You'll have to push the plug in, on the bottom, while pulling the other end out. Not hard to do, once you figure it out.

Next disconnect the SRS airbag for the passenger side. Helms threw me off with the whole passenger side talk. This plug is located behind the panel where the accessory socket is, in the center of the dash.

Same deal here, push in, while pulling the other end out.

Now disconnect the main SRS plug. Follow the steering column from the driver's side SRS plug and you'll find it right underneath where the dash begins.

Next thing you need to do is remove these damn wires.

Fuse box (two bolts holding it in) if you have an alarm with as many wires as I have, this is the ultimate biaatch. There are also a lot of wires that are in the back of the fuse box which is hard as hell to get to, or maybe it's just my car.

Antenna lead, big black think "wire-looking" on left side of the fuse box

Data Link Connector, between attenna lead and fuse box.

More connectors, one on the upper right side of the driver's side area, connected to a grey box with a blue outline. Sorry for some reason I stopped taking pics, but only momentarily.

There's a connector in the center dash area, as well as the far right side of the dash on the passenger's side.

Lower the steering wheel.
    Remove the knee bolster, two bolts, one on each side of the steering wheel.
    You CAN just lower it with the tilt, but it's a lot easier to just remove two bolts and let it drop, I mean, place it down gently.

Now it's time for the bolts

I've already told you about the center dash bolt by the window.
    There are a few more.

Two on the driver's side.
    ty pic

Here's a reference point for you.
    Pic of the second bolt. The first bolt pictured is right next to this one, closer to the pedals.

Okay. I'm out of pics. At this point I had more than enough space to distinguish which wires I needed to work with.

There are two more bolts on the right side of the dash that needed to be removed.
    Also two bolts on the bottom of the center console, they're on the metal brackets. At this point, you should be able to remove your dash, or at least lift it off the base. You may need to remove the actual dash from the brackets. That requires removing about 30 misc screws, nuts and bolts <--- mostly screws. It's not that hard to do, but it does take a lot of time searching for the screws.

I'm sure I forgot a few things, but I'll add them as I remember them. Any questions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda Civic knock sensor [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the knock sensor located on the 2000 Honda Civic EX 4D 1.6l (single overhead cam)?

2000 honda civic problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, My 2000 honda civic si while driving in 4th gear, kicked out and the engine light came on. A few minutes later the oil light came on and the engine shut off. When I pulled over all the oil leaked out from the bottom. Please help me on why this happened? Thanks in an advance Cory

92-2000 honda civic engine I.D codes and hp [ 0 Answers ]

Many people have asked me what engine they have in there car.so this might help These are U.S. only 92-95 civic EX/SI D16Z6 1.6 16VSOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1590 125hp@6600rpm 106tq@5200rpm Dx /lx D15B7 1.5 16VSOHC PGM-FI 1493...

2000 Honda Civic won't start [ 6 Answers ]

Last Sat morning, cranked the starte motor till it finally started, It was rainy and damp. All day started and ran fine. Sunday cranked it over quiite quickly. Monday morning, same thing started instantly. Monday night, car sitting for a while. Raining, when I got in the car, had to crank over the...

View more questions Search