Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mark Maggiora Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Looking for Clutch Cone for Wizard Rototiller
    I have an older Wizard Rototiller--Model #GIS2005A47 and Serial #47W59691 that has a worn out clutch disk.

In my search for a replacement part, I have found that a Clutch Housing Assembly (Part #741203) is available for $180+, but that manufacture of the Clutch Cone (Part #1305) was discontinued when Toro bought out Gilson in 1988. :(

The folks at Toro have placed me on a "Discontinued Parts Listing" notice in the hopes that someone has this part in their inventory and will pick up the listing and contact me. :o

I would welcome any other thoughts on how I might deal with this issue--such as other parts sources to consider and ways the existing clutch disk might be restored. It looks like the disk is intact and has developed a glazing on the face that compromises the disk's friction capabilities. Can this be refaced or rebuilt to restore its functionality?

Thanks!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 06:34 AM

Hi,
    I cannot tell you a great deal more than you know. It may have the Wizard or Western Auto decal and be labelled as a Gilson, but it actually owes it engineering design to the old Magna tiller.
    To put it in perspective; Gilson bought Magna, Lawn-boy bought Gilson (and Pioneer and broke away from OMC - then Pioneer sold to Poulan) and Lawn-boy bought in bankruptcy by Toro. Things "fall through the cracks" with so much ownership changes as the new owner is often buying the assets in the form ot tooling.
    25 years ago you could buy the clutch liner material and epoxy it in after cleaning the cone, I did it on more than one occasion.
    I did some searches to no avail; even found an old Rotohoe called a Magna (repainted a strange color, and who knows about the decals!)
    The last best bet, I think, would be to try to et a recent copy of Power Equipment Trade magazine. It is an industry-specific publication that is only available to dealers and the website is subscriber only for most sections. It began life as Chain Saw Age over 58 years ago. And through most of its existence it has had ads in the very back for dealers who buy and sell obsolete parts, often chainsaw, but others too. Maybe you can find a kindly dealer who gets it and will give you a recent issue. Most of those dealers, if not all, in those ads will have absolutely no Web presence making Google or any other search engine as useless.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    76gilson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 12:05 AM
    I have a similar tiller with the same problem. Nothing else wrong except that clutch cone. I'm thinking to have a few made for me. Price will be around $60 each as I'm only going to make 5 pieces. Please let me know if you are interested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lower unit oil seals for wizard rototiller [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for oil seals part number for oil seals on drive unit where the tines shaft come out of the unit. Does anyone know of the manufacture parts for this? Wizard rototiller Model No. GIS 2020A37.

Wizard rototiller owners manual [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for an owners manual for wizard rototiller Model GIS 2020A37. Know where I can find one?

View more questions Search